Debian Warns Of Hyper Threading Issue With Intel Sky/Kaby Lake CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Warns Of Hyper Threading Issue With Intel Sky/Kaby Lake CPUs

Phoronix: Debian Warns Of Hyper Threading Issue With Intel Sky/Kaby Lake CPUs

The Debian project is warning Intel Skylake and Kaby Lake users to disable Hyper Threading (HT) on their CPUs due to a possible issue affecting those with out-of-date microcode...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

-----

Typos:

​​​​​​
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    could "dangerously misbehave" when Hyper THreading is enabled.
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    same physical processor are ctive
    (the original doc doesn't have the typo)
    Last edited by tildearrow; 25 June 2017, 11:33 AM. Reason: never mind

Comment

Wow, thanks for the heads up! The updated intel-microcode package they recommend doesn't exist in the Mint 18/Ubuntu repos yet, but I can confirm that with the "iucode-tool" dependency installed, the .deb package from debian installed just fine on Mint 18. Haven't rebooted yet though, running a full backup before I do.

Comment

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/267...e-20170511.tgz and install with microcode... the "ucode-tool" is no longer needed, Intel provides the microcode in native linux format nowadays....

Comment

Debian should disable hyperthreading by default for Intel SK/KB then... since this is unofficial info as non-free is not part of the distro, blah, blah.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Debian should disable hyperthreading by default for Intel SK/KB then... since this is unofficial info as non-free is not part of the distro, blah, blah.
            This is controlled by BIOS option...

Comment

Is this limited to just Debian? What about other platforms? Only reason I ask is because the fix is outside the OS.

Comment

Originally posted by drohm View Post
                Is this limited to just Debian? What about other platforms? Only reason I ask is because the fix is outside the OS.
                No, it is not. It affects all OSes... The article is in the "Intel" category.

Comment

Originally posted by drohm View Post
                  Nope not Debian only, it can affects any OS it seems:

Please note that the defect can potentially affect any operating system (it is not restricted to Debian, and it is not restricted to Linux-based systems). It can be either avoided (by disabling hyper-threading), or fixed (by updating the processor microcode).

Comment

Originally posted by defaultUser View Post

This is controlled by BIOS option...
                    I bet you could set those options on at least some motherboards using UEFI flags, which you can do while booted. Have to reboot to apply it though.
                    Last edited by MaxToTheMax; 25 June 2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X