• Show
Clear All

Hardcoded instead of using drirc? Brrrrr
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
      I understand that, but following the news specifically for Radeon drivers on Linux, a LOT of work appears to be going on involving environment variables and application-specific optimizations. AMD drivers are the only ones I see being discussed with using various environment variables to improve performance to a point that is still not very good. I'm not saying you're wrong to do this thing but your answer doesn't really help me understand it (which is fine in itself; our opinions don't have to be the same).
      At some point, all the generic optimizations get completed, and you end up with application specific optimizations. Depending on the app, certain optimizations may help or hurt performance. At that point you can't apply it generically. As far as being the only driver implementing these sorts of optimizations, I don't think the other gallium drivers are far enough along that they need app specific micro-optimizations at this point. They still have a lot more low hanging fruit to harvest.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

Because there are at least four separate drivers for different sets of Radeon-branded cards. The "Radeon" driver is for quite-old ATI cards AFAIK.
        And how does calling it R600 help? It's also specific. At least RADEON itself is a generic enough name.

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
          AMD drivers are the only ones I see being discussed with using various environment variables to improve performance to a point that is still not very good. I'm not saying you're wrong to do this thing but your answer doesn't really help me understand it (which is fine in itself; our opinions don't have to be the same).
          Other drivers are not discussed because they are closed sources so these options are not advertised and are well hidden. It was proved many times some games run faster on nvidia driver when they are renamed to another game name, because nvidia implemented some per-game optimization profile for specific games that can benefit other games too, but there is no switch, no environment variables to try it out, and these tweaks are not publicly advertised neither described.

Oh, and by the way. The current work by Marek is to make the use of environment variable unneeded: he is testing software to write performance profile so you don't have to mess yourself with these variables, best profile will be shipped and selected by the driver itself.

So, to sum-it-up, using mesa radeon driver you only need to know these very-techy switches if you're a driver profiler or a benchmark gui.

And, well, all drivers are doing this kind of per-app profiling (and it's well known Nvidia performance superiority also comes from that kind of deep knowledge involved into drivers), optimization tweak switches not being discussed is not about switches not being there, it's about switches not being available to you.
          Last edited by illwieckz; 22 June 2017, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
            Environment variables don't give better performance in all cases. If they did, we would make it the default setting.
            Is there anything that can improve the Witcher 3 in Wine? On RX480 I'm getting around 40fps on max settings, which sounds lower than on Windows. Not sure if it's just because of Wine overhead, or combined with general radeonsi performance.

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post
            Oh, and by the way. The current work by Marek is to make the use of environment variable unneeded: he is testing software to write performance profile so you don't have to mess yourself with these variables, best profile will be shipped and selected by the driver itself.
            Do you mean /etc/drirc? I can see it references binary names. Does it mean it can't address for example games run in Wine? So usage of environment variables (if applicable) can still be useful for regular users too, or it can pick up Wine names as well?
            Last edited by shmerl; 22 June 2017, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Good that Superposition's process name is not 'game'
              Last edited by dungeon; 22 June 2017, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post

Other drivers are not discussed because they are closed sources so these options are not advertised and are well hidden. It was proved many times some games run faster on nvidia driver when they are renamed to another game name, because nvidia implemented some per-game optimization profile for specific games that can benefit other games too, but there is no switch, no environment variables to try it out, and these tweaks are not publicly advertised neither described.
                Nvidia Inspector is opensource, variables are in readable and descriptive form there see:

https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaPro...iverSettings.h

It is hidden only if someone don't want to read But OK it is user maded tool, similar like Radeon Pro... vendors does not support doing that as they have explicit right on fixing/breaking these also blah, blah... but who want to find these things he can find them even without these GUI tools

I agree majority is not interested in these things, as drivers should Just_Worktm But drivers already just work, if there is not enthusiasts who wanna every bit of performance further among many other fancy things

If someone wanna raw performance and generic properness, well just disable profiles and you are there and that is it nothing unusual.

edit: Also AMD blob for GL do it samilar way, var process this dword/blean/string hash/ring voila Game runs and who cares that it runs profile if game works Do not like this? Well, disable it and you are now proper generic
                Last edited by dungeon; 22 June 2017, 06:38 PM.

Comment

No, sisched is mostly dead at this point, but it's good to have it sometimes, like in this case.

There is no best solution to everything. Some "optimizations" improve some games and hurt others.

Environment variables don't give better performance in all cases. If they did, we would make it the default setting.
                  So if this trend continues, I guess Linux will end with game profiles too... Special settings tied to specific games to improve performance. But here they are turned on with variables.

But the devs didn't said they will not support specific profiles? Or at least in Mesa? Because for the looks of it, this is just that.

Comment

Originally posted by darkcoder View Post

So if this trend continues, I guess Linux will end with game profiles too...
                    Happy New Year - you already run profiles

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...i/common/drirc

User since forever can put whatever he want in his .drirc too, to run game under some env, etc... all these are sort of profiles whenever you wanna change default behaviour for whatever reason.

Linux is already full of profiles, people just don't call them like that Every non default env forced is already profile really.

In some way on Linux even compiling and patching drivers is sort of profile, as that is not default build
                    Last edited by dungeon; 22 June 2017, 07:32 PM.

Comment

No, sisched is mostly dead at this point, but it's good to have it sometimes, like in this case.

There is no best solution to everything. Some "optimizations" improve some games and hurt others.

Dead? It gives me a consistent 3-5 fps gain for my Bonaire, something's not right if the default LLVM scheduler isn't giving me benefits.

Comment

Working...
                      X