X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Up to..."

Comment

Michael I would love to have my recent Ryzen purchase validated :P

clock for clock and performance per $ would be awesome.

maybe even a "Joy-o-meter" that shows how happy you are with the CPU

Comment

The Core i7 7740X is a 4-core / 8-thread CPU a step above the Core i7 7700K Kabylake...
        A very small step... only 100MHz more on the base frequency, but that is offset by the increase of 21W in the TDP, so maybe it isn't a step at all?

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

I don't think Delta sells retail products in the US. They do make many OE power supplies for Dell, HP, IBM servers, and have a reputation for good quality. But no standard ATX power supplies for PC builders available here, as far as I'm aware.
          There are some Antec models originally designed and manufactured by Delta Electronics.

Delta Electronics is the world No.1 manufacturer of switching PSUs and DC brushless fans.
          Last edited by qsmcomp; 19 June 2017, 10:43 AM.

Comment

After seeing the reviews this morning i lost all interest in the I9 series but got hyped about thread ripper and Ryzen.

I mean this CPU are extremely expensive, run extremely hot, draw a loot of power, crappy TIM and is not that much faster than Ryzen(20-30% taking into account it has 4 core more) plus the chipset is a bloody mess and seem to need some expensive add ons to handle NVMe raids and some other obscure features.

It would had been interesting at 399-499$ but at 999$ LOL, jeez thanks Intel i'll pass this generation and wait for thread ripper to decide if i go Ryzen or TR at the end

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Anyway seems Intel is really doing whatever they can to get people's attention toward i9 and away from Threadripper. i9 is an objectively worse product but that won't matter as long as people (especially the impatient ones) think it's the only option.
              Why do you think so? I was rather disappointed to hear some of the Design Choices in Ryzen (Compute Clusters, NUMA), although Intel price gouging got a lot worse with less PCIe links on the lower models etc..

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post

Why do you think so? I was rather disappointed to hear some of the Design Choices in Ryzen (Compute Clusters, NUMA), although Intel price gouging got a lot worse with less PCIe links on the lower models etc..
                well if you tell me, this product A is 10% better overall(including power draw and temp) and cost 10%-20% more than product B, i will consider is a good product but when you tell me product A is 10% better in performance but draw 40% more power and can heat my house in winter and cost twice as 2x the price of product B then is an objectively worse product. i guess that is his point

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
                  I think this way because the only advantage i9 has is overclocking and slightly better single-threaded performance (and let's face it, you're not buying a 16+ thread CPU for single-threaded tasks). But once you get above 10 cores, you're not going to want to go far beyond 4GHz without encountering thermal and wattage issues. This puts Threadripper in a good position, since the architecture isn't good at OCing beyond 4GHz anyway. TR is also more efficient, so you could likely get by with air cooling on an overclocked 16-core TR rig. Meanwhile, the 7900X is a fantastic overclocker, but people are [rightfully] getting pretty unsettled by how hot and power-hungry it gets even on liquid cooling.

Ryzen's CCXs are fine, they just seemed crappy due to the poor initial memory support. But, "fine" is the best compliment I can give them; the CCXs do still need some work. Ryzen seems to hold up pretty well against Intel once all the patches are applied. Today, it's barely slower clock-per-clock. For the first generation of a new architecture under a serious budget, Ryzen is impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I think this way because the only advantage i9 has is overclocking and slightly better single-threaded performance (and let's face it, you're not buying a 16+ thread CPU for single-threaded tasks). But once you get above 10 cores, you're not going to want to go far beyond 4GHz without encountering thermal and wattage issues. This puts Threadripper in a good position, since the architecture isn't good at OCing beyond 4GHz anyway. TR is also more efficient, so you could likely get by with air cooling on an overclocked 16-core TR rig. Meanwhile, the 7900X is a fantastic overclocker, but people are [rightfully] getting pretty unsettled by how hot and power-hungry it gets even on liquid cooling.

Ryzen's CCXs are fine, they just seemed crappy due to the poor initial memory support. But, "fine" is the best compliment I can give them; the CCXs do still need some work. Ryzen seems to hold up pretty well against Intel once all the patches are applied. Today, it's barely slower clock-per-clock. For the first generation of a new architecture under a serious budget, Ryzen is impressive.
                    This feels like the old days of the Athlon X2 vs the intel Pentium D but at least i'm hyped about TR seeing they can rip intel a new one if they price them right and bring back nasty price competition for the next generation (Zen2+ vs Coffe Lake which i guess will require a new socket again).

Plus i have a feeling the cache latency in TR will be a whole lot lower with quad channel because i seriously believe those CCXs were meant that way from the beginning and were forced into dual channel high latency to keep ryzen good enough at a spine break price to push intel into panic + lower platform costs specially for B350 boards. i also hope Vega brings a worthy contender to the 1070+ too, so we can have better prices overall

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

MSI X299 SLI PLUS and not sure what other motherboard samples I may be getting in the days ahead either.

Usually always use Corsair memory.

Unfortunately don't have much of a budget for the higher-end PSUs with not reviewing them anymore, etc, so do have many Corsair and eVGA PSUs for their price.
                      I'm building a new work station right now. Right now I have a high end 850W EVGA PSU as a placeholder. When my new 1250W PSU gets in I'll drop you a line and send the 850 over if you'd like.

Comment

Working...
                      X