No announcement yet.

6-Way RadeonSI OpenGL vs. RADV Vulkan Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RADV always suffered more than OpenGL @ higher resolutions. I wonder if that's still the case, or if thats improved aswell?

Anyway, it's nice to see it atleast on par with OpenGL in most games and whats possible when a developer targets radv for release (Thanks Feral!). Looking forward to seeing what their Warhammer Vulkan port is like.

Comment

On Mad Max, more lige "engine CPU limited", CPU limited is too harsh word for me when CPU is not utilized 95-100%, and according to the CPU usage, it never did go over 70% .
      Last edited by leipero; 04 June 2017, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Sort of confused how AMDGPU fits into RADV; or is it that RADV wraps AMDGPU ?

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
          Yay some tests that show what vulkan is about on a realistic CPU!
          Great job.

btw have you tested RadV on GCN 1.0 graphics cards like the HD 7950 or R7 370?

Originally posted by droste View Post

Different CPU and RAM.
          Originally posted by dungeon View Post

That was on different machines, that had i7 7700K and this one is on i5 7600K.
          Cool, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by xiaochocobo View Post
            Sort of confused how AMDGPU fits into RADV; or is it that RADV wraps AMDGPU ?
            RADV is a userspace driver, part of the upstream Mesa project, while amdgpu (AMDGPU) is a kernel driver. There is also an amdgpu X driver but it doesn't get discussed as much; normally when you see "amdgpu" it refers to the kernel driver.

The kernel driver supports RADV, radeonsi and the amdgpu X driver, so it's fair to say that those drivers wrap amdgpu.

AMDGPU-PRO is our workstation driver stack - it uses tweaked versions of the amdgpu kernel and X drivers, Mesa multimedia drivers, and our closed source OpenGL, OpenCL and Vulkan drivers.
            Test signature

Comment

For Gcn 1.0, RADV isn't working well: AFAIK most chips won't work, and those that do (like my 7770) are slower than in Opengl.

Comment

I tested my Tahiti briefly last week, seemed to run Talos, didn't have much time on it, I don't have any CIK locally.

Comment

So does anyone ever up the priority/nice of a thread/process when playing a game?
                  Code:
                  [I]renice -10 -p *pidnumber*[/I]
                  With better/worse hardware it should differ. I myself tried this on Civilization VI, gained some performance boost.

Computer:
                  Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.9.30-29.lts
                  Shell: bash 4.3.42
                  Resolution: 1920x1080
                  DE: MATE 1.18.0
                  WM: Metacity (Marco)
                  CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K @ 8x 3.8GHz
                  GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II OC (DRM 3.8.0 / 4.9.30-29.lts, LLVM 4.0.0)
                  RAM: 20049MiB

Comment

Originally posted by mitch074 View Post
                    For Gcn 1.0, RADV isn't working well: AFAIK most chips won't work, and those that do (like my 7770) are slower than in Opengl.
                    That's not my experience with a R7 370. RADV is working very well there and shows much better framerate in Mad Max, Talo Principle and Searious Sam when using vulkan compared to the radeon kernel module with OpenGL. Unfortunately like you said, in many games/apps GCN 1.0 is still taking a hit in OpenGL when using amdgpu module. bridgman is the reason for the GCN 1.0 OpenGL performance regression on amdgpu known? BTW I've been testing with the amd-staging-4.11 DC codebase.

Comment

Wonder why the RX580 trails the RX480 in some of the OpenGL tests. It´s basically the same chip with higher frequencies.

Comment

Working...
                      X