No announcement yet.

Some Ryzen Linux Users Are Facing Issues With Heavy Compilation Loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was working well yesterday but today I got two back to back freezes. The second one happened within seconds of the system coming back up, and the screen went black a few seconds after that freeze, but there was no reboot. I'm not sure if it's the same issue or multiple.

Comment

• Originally posted by ramrod View Post
      It was working well yesterday but today I got two back to back freezes. The second one happened within seconds of the system coming back up, and the screen went black a few seconds after that freeze, but there was no reboot. I'm not sure if it's the same issue or multiple.
      Shame. I've never seen one happen that quick. The quickest was 15 minutes but I guess they could happen at any time really. It's practically impossible to say whether this is the same issue but it might be worth running Fedora off a stick (26 Beta would be best) to see whether that holds up for you.

Comment

• I figured I'd throw a comment in here as i've seen all these errors at one point or another.
        It seems that any memory speeds over 2666 require a vsoc voltage bump for me to get rid of errors ie: 1.225v currently
        Also today was the hottest day of the year and I started getting the uop cache parity errors during a firefox compile on settings that were otherwise stable for over a month.
        Heat could be a big factor for that. The ~1.4v turbo voltage is just intense.

1800x
        gigabyte gaming K7
        64GB ecc mem overclocked at 2933 (no errors)

I'm not complaining, I enjoy testing different settings and dialing things in.
        So my dream of 4GHz fixed speed just isn't looking possible for summertime heat. 1.4125v is just too much (not gonna run my fans at 100% all the time). There really is no head room on these chips, their stock speed/voltage seems to be right near their max as it is, so it's no surprise to me that a few will have issues even at default.

I'd recommend that people who aren't overclocking, considering raising the vsoc a tad and see if it makes their issue go away.
        I'm running the llc settings at "regular" because the vrm's get hot.

Also worth noting the PWM fan control on my system is inverted.
        So 0 is max speed and 255 is slowest speed.
        I had to modify the fancontrol script to get this right and use a git version of the it87 module for the sensors output.
        This could be very dangerous for some people if they don't notice, as the fans will spin slower as the cpu gets hotter.
        Last edited by Soul_keeper; 16 June 2017, 12:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
          1800x
          gigabyte gaming K7
          64GB ecc mem overclocked at 2933 (no errors)
          Is ECC working on your mobo? I had heard ECC only worked with certain Asrock and Asus boards.

Comment

• Just a quick update. I've been running a Debian kernel for a few days. I did have one freeze but it took a lot longer to occur than the other freezes and it was slightly different in that I was still able to move the X pointer so I'm discounting that one for now. Given that this kernel doesn't enable CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU_ALL, there must be some other way to avoid the freezes. I'l try to find out what it is but the motivation is lacking a little now that I've already found a workaround.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chewi View Post
              Just a quick update. I've been running a Debian kernel for a few days. I did have one freeze but it took a lot longer to occur than the other freezes and it was slightly different in that I was still able to move the X pointer so I'm discounting that one for now. Given that this kernel doesn't enable CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU_ALL, there must be some other way to avoid the freezes. I'l try to find out what it is but the motivation is lacking a little now that I've already found a workaround.
              Heh, spoke too soon. It froze again a few hours later. The X pointer kept moving at first but then that froze too. I guess Debian's kernel is affected after all.

Comment

Heh, spoke too soon. It froze again a few hours later. The X pointer kept moving at first but then that froze too. I guess Debian's kernel is affected after all.
                As this is a hardware bug, why the Debian kernel shouldn't be affected?

Comment

• Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post

Read my previous posts. Regardless of whether this is a hardware bug or not, enabling CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU_ALL stops the freezing, at least in my case. Fedora enables this, Debian does not.

Comment

• Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post

Hardware bugs aren't necessarily triggered by all kernels.

Other than an undocumented hearsay of it happened to one ryzen user using netbsd, and Matt Dillon's (dragonflybsd) report, the bug is only triggered when using Linux. Still not a single Windows user reporting this.

Comment

Since I added CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU and CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU_ALL and Norandmaps in my kernel of vanilla 4.11.x, I have never seen a freeze ...
                      Thanks for the tip !

Comment

Working...
                      X