Some Ryzen Linux Users Are Facing Issues With Heavy Compilation Loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    With Ryzen maybe slowing down the kernel would make it stable. Phoronix uses Debian/ubuntu 250Hz timer kernel and Gentoo 1000Hz timer kernel. There are plenty of kernel config options that affects stability like with RX460 and the amdgpu kernel driver, Virtualization and KVM must be enabled.
    tries 250, same segfault in bash

it's a curse

Comment

• Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      With Ryzen maybe slowing down the kernel would make it stable. Phoronix uses Debian/ubuntu 250Hz timer kernel and Gentoo 1000Hz timer kernel.
      It's the other way around, lower resolution speeds up the system (and the kernel, that is part of the system).

Comment

• Originally posted by atomsymbol

Not necessarily, because the higher tick rate might deliver information that completes a task several milliseconds sooner.
        Doesn't affect the performance of the system. Yes, one task may finish more early, but the throughput of the whole system is more with less task switches.

Comment

• I've managed to fix my freezes. Turns out it was CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU and CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU_ALL. These are enabled in Fedora. After enabling just these in my minimal config, there was no freeze. After disabling these in Fedora's config, I got a freeze. I don't know the reasoning but it seems quite conclusive. I don't yet know whether it's merely a workaround for some underlying issue or even whether it simply makes a freeze less likely. What's the best way to get this information across to AMD? @bridgman?

Interestingly, CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU is not enabled in Debian. We haven't seen swarms of Debian users reporting freezes with Ryzen so perhaps this issue is specific to the motherboard or some other factor. I did want to try a prebuilt Debian kernel but I was surprised that I couldn't find anything newer than 4.10, even among Ubuntu, Mint, and Sid.

I previously said that I hadn't seen any segfaults. I did see some eventually but disabling ASLR fixed it. I am now booting with norandmaps to ensure that ASLR is disabled immediately on boot. Enabling CONFIG_COMPAT_BRK in the kernel doesn't actually disable ASLR entirely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chewi View Post
            I've managed to fix my freezes. Turns out it was CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU and CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU_ALL. These are enabled in Fedora. After enabling just these in my minimal config, there was no freeze. After disabling these in Fedora's config, I got a freeze. I don't know the reasoning but it seems quite conclusive. I don't yet know whether it's merely a workaround for some underlying issue or even whether it simply makes a freeze less likely. What's the best way to get this information across to AMD? @bridgman?

Interestingly, CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU is not enabled in Debian. We haven't seen swarms of Debian users reporting freezes with Ryzen so perhaps this issue is specific to the motherboard or some other factor. I did want to try a prebuilt Debian kernel but I was surprised that I couldn't find anything newer than 4.10, even among Ubuntu, Mint, and Sid.

I previously said that I hadn't seen any segfaults. I did see some eventually but disabling ASLR fixed it. I am now booting with norandmaps to ensure that ASLR is disabled immediately on boot. Enabling CONFIG_COMPAT_BRK in the kernel doesn't actually disable ASLR entirely.

Does this fix the freeze that happens when the system is idle?

Comment

• Originally posted by ramrod View Post

Does this fix the freeze that happens when the system is idle?
              Affirmative.
              (damn character limit...)

Comment

Affirmative.
                (damn character limit...)
                Thank you! I've been running extra youtube tabs in firefox with videos constantly playing for almost a month now just to prevent those.

Comment

• Originally posted by ramrod View Post

Thank you! I've been running extra youtube tabs in firefox with videos constantly playing for almost a month now just to prevent those.
                  Please report back if it works. I haven't had anyone else confirm it yet.

Comment

I did want to try a prebuilt Debian kernel but I was surprised that I couldn't find anything newer than 4.10, even among Ubuntu, Mint, and Sid.
                    Try Debian "experimental" branch ;-)

linux (4.11.3-1~exp1) experimental; urgency=medium

* New upstream stable update:

Comment

Please report back if it works. I haven't had anyone else confirm it yet.
                      It's been running idle for a couple of hours now, and so far it looks good. I'll let you know if it freezes over the next few days.

Comment

Working...
                      X