Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Ryzen Linux Users Are Facing Issues With Heavy Compilation Loads

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Just a quick update. I've been running a Debian kernel for a few days. I did have one freeze but it took a lot longer to occur than the other freezes and it was slightly different in that I was still able to move the X pointer so I'm discounting that one for now. Given that this kernel doesn't enable CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU_ALL, there must be some other way to avoid the freezes. I'l try to find out what it is but the motivation is lacking a little now that I've already found a workaround.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Chewi View Post
      Just a quick update. I've been running a Debian kernel for a few days. I did have one freeze but it took a lot longer to occur than the other freezes and it was slightly different in that I was still able to move the X pointer so I'm discounting that one for now. Given that this kernel doesn't enable CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU_ALL, there must be some other way to avoid the freezes. I'l try to find out what it is but the motivation is lacking a little now that I've already found a workaround.
      Heh, spoke too soon. It froze again a few hours later. The X pointer kept moving at first but then that froze too. I guess Debian's kernel is affected after all.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Chewi View Post

        Heh, spoke too soon. It froze again a few hours later. The X pointer kept moving at first but then that froze too. I guess Debian's kernel is affected after all.
        As this is a hardware bug, why the Debian kernel shouldn't be affected?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post

          As this is a hardware bug, why the Debian kernel shouldn't be affected?
          Read my previous posts. Regardless of whether this is a hardware bug or not, enabling CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU_ALL stops the freezing, at least in my case. Fedora enables this, Debian does not.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post

            As this is a hardware bug, why the Debian kernel shouldn't be affected?
            Hardware bugs aren't necessarily triggered by all kernels.

            Other than an undocumented hearsay of it happened to one ryzen user using netbsd, and Matt Dillon's (dragonflybsd) report, the bug is only triggered when using Linux. Still not a single Windows user reporting this.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Chewi View Post

              Heh, spoke too soon. It froze again a few hours later. The X pointer kept moving at first but then that froze too. I guess Debian's kernel is affected after all.
              Since I added CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU and CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU_ALL and Norandmaps in my kernel of vanilla 4.11.x, I have never seen a freeze ...
              Thanks for the tip !

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Beherit View Post
                Hardware bugs aren't necessarily triggered by all kernels.

                Other than an undocumented hearsay of it happened to one ryzen user using netbsd, and Matt Dillon's (dragonflybsd) report, the bug is only triggered when using Linux. Still not a single Windows user reporting this.
                You're wrong:
                https://community.amd.com/message/2804636#2804636
                > Yet windows does not trigger it?

                As I reported several time, Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), so called "Bash on Ubuntu on Windows"
                triggered this kind of problem (see my past report for the detail). WSL is the linux userland on WIndows kernel
                (more precisely it consists of Linux emulation layer and NT kernel). And NetBSD triggered the very similar problem.

                Comment


                • So. Do we have any more information about this problem?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Zucca View Post
                    So. Do we have any more information about this problem?
                    Some. A subset of users seems to benefit from upping the SoC voltage from ~.945 (auto) to 1.05-~1.1v. I'm fairly sure it's mostly an electrical issue, as exchanging processors doesn't seem to make any difference, but it's not yet led to AMD announcing any kind of fix.

                    Comment


                    • I think even after upping the voltage it was still necessary to disable ASLR to reach stability, at least in most cases.
                      Note, that's my rough impression from following the amd forum thread, I didn't keep track of who did what exactly;p
                      Last edited by timon37; 06 July 2017, 05:12 AM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X