X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by chuckula View Post
    It's not much of a surprise, RyZen performs about as well as it's going to in Linux anyway and the lack of real number crunching hardware (only 1/2 speed support for AVX and no AVX-512 at all) can't just be magically optimized away in a compiler.
    Not that any commercial software takes advantage of AVX-512 anyways. And those that do, are migrating to OpenCL or CUDA, moving those operations to the GPU instead.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 23 May 2017, 11:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• boboviz
    replied
    To be the first version of this compiler is not so bad. Waiting for new versions in future

Leave a comment:

• Marc.2377
    replied
    Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post

Games on Windows are almost exclusively compiled with some form of MSVC. And yes, I've actually checked. I've NEVER seen a game that I own (and I own a LOT) compiled with ICC. GCC is rare as well; I think I've never seen a GCC compiled game outside of ID Software.
    Funny enough, I once ran a tool called "Intel Compiler Patcher" in my Windows system to scan for "crippled" binaries (some 2 years ago, Windows 8.1) and it found that many DLLs from the AMD graphics and chipset drivers were compiled with the ICC and it's biased dispatcher.

Leave a comment:

• gamerk2
    replied
    Originally posted by carewolf View Post

It is a bigger problem on Windows where icc is used by many games and benchmarks.
    Games on Windows are almost exclusively compiled with some form of MSVC. And yes, I've actually checked. I've NEVER seen a game that I own (and I own a LOT) compiled with ICC. GCC is rare as well; I think I've never seen a GCC compiled game outside of ID Software.

Leave a comment:

• wdb974
    replied

Well, it remains an issue. Except it doesn't matter so much on Linux anymore because you have to pay for the intel compiler, and no one appears to do so. I guessing they don't even bother giving Phoronix a free copy for free advertisement.
    Of course it's an issue. This is the very reason why I haven't bought any Intel CPUs (besides a couple of second hand CPUs from eBay for computer that were given away to me).

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by wdb974 View Post

Oh, I thought you were referring to something more recent.
    Well, it remains an issue. Except it doesn't matter so much on Linux anymore because you have to pay for the intel compiler, and no one appears to do so. I guessing they don't even bother giving Phoronix a free copy for free advertisement.

Leave a comment:

• wdb974
    replied

It is a bigger problem on Windows where icc is used by many games and benchmarks.
    Oh, I thought you were referring to something more recent.

Leave a comment:

• puleglot
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

All the build details are available via looking at the test profile scripts if running PTS locally or navigating to the test profile pages on Openbenchmarking.org.
    Indeed. Thanks!

Code:
    cd ffmpeg-2.8.1/
    ./configure --disable-zlib --disable-doc --prefix=$HOME/ffmpeg_/
    Code:
    cd openssl-1.0.1g/
    ./config no-zlib

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by puleglot View Post
    Was openssl configured with "no-asm" option?
    Was ffmpeg configured with "--disable-asm" option?
    All the build details are available via looking at the test profile scripts if running PTS locally or navigating to the test profile pages on Openbenchmarking.org.

Leave a comment:

• puleglot
    replied
    Was openssl configured with "no-asm" option?
    Was ffmpeg configured with "--disable-asm" option?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X