Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core i7 7700K vs. Ryzen 7 1800X With Ubuntu 17.04 + Linux 4.12

Phoronix: Core i7 7700K vs. Ryzen 7 1800X With Ubuntu 17.04 + Linux 4.12

Given the recent BIOS improvements for Ryzen and the ever-advancing state of Linux and components like Mesa (although no recent Ryzen-specific work), here are some fresh tests of the current high-end Ryzen 7 1800X compared to an Intel Core i7 7700K on Ubuntu 17.04 with Linux 4.12 and Mesa 17.2-dev.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

too bad for AMD, need more optimized software???

Comment

Originally posted by danangdk View Post
      too bad for AMD, need more optimized software???
      AMD needs a better prefetcher.

Comment

Performance per core still matters as some of these benchmarks show.

Comment

The machine learning SciKit-Learn test was also better on the i7-7700K.
          The graph says otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Performance per core still matters as some of these benchmarks show.
            Exactly. Even multi-threaded applications will have their threads limited to the performance of a single core. The I7-7700K and I7-4790K still rule in single thread performance. It doesn't fit well into 'more is better' marketing though.

Comment

Ryzen is supposed to be a Broadwell competitor. Kaby beating it is no surprise, and no BIOS update will change it.

Comment

Wasn't there an Intel price-drop right after Ryzen announced? In the review they compared Intel's $340 to AMD's $499. What was Intel's price before the drop?

Comment

What a mixed bag this is... Ryzen obviously has got some great potential, which is really good. But it will take a while until the software developers tap into it. Some will likely ignore it and stay focused on Intel, like it's the case with graphics (and game makers more often focusing on Nvidia).

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    Ryzen is supposed to be a Broadwell competitor. Kaby beating it is no surprise, and no BIOS update will change it.
                    Agreed. Look at the posts on Zen before it was released. Everyones' conclusion was that it would compete with Broadwell out the door, Not Kaby Lake.

Look for Ryzen II to exceed Kaby Lake.

Comment

Working...
                    X