Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Announces "Threadripper", Intel to announce the i9 @ Comtex

Per PCWorld:

It's called Threadripper, and it will be the first consumer-focused chip with 16 cores and 32 threads of computing power. Due out this summer, Intel should be worried about this monster.

It's official: AMD's Threadripper will bring a 16-core, 32-thread monster to the desktop

Threadripper will ship this summer on consumer PCs, and Intel should be worried.

With Intel's rumored Core i9 expected to max out with 12 cores, AMD's 16-core Threadripper could very well steal its thunder. Assuming the clock speeds of Threadripper are comparable to those of the rumored Core i9, cores generally trump clock speeds on multi-threaded tasks. Of course, none of this is real until the chips are shipped and in the hands of independent reviewers.

One problem both Intel and AMD face, though, is finding consumer workloads that can stress 12 or 16 cores. The crowd that buys this class of hardware typically doesn't buy it for practical use, but rather for the performance.

Yet more....

Per wccftech:

AMD Ryzen 16 Core “Whitehaven” Enthusiast CPUs Leaked – 3.6GHz Clock Speed, Boatloads of Cache & Quad Channel DDR4 Support

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
      Per PCWorld:
      One problem both Intel and AMD face, though, is finding consumer workloads that can stress 12 or 16 cores. The crowd that buys this class of hardware typically doesn't buy it for practical use, but rather for the performance.
      I've always wondered who buys >8 core consumer cpu's. Seems to me that if you have such a heavy workload, you're more in the 'workstation' category than the 'enthusiast' category, and therefore you're looking for features like ECC memory and SAS drives, i.e. Xeon and Opteron class hardware.

I guess it could be a relatively inexpensive way for a hobbyist to play with hypervisors and VM's without the added cost of the workstation-grade bits.

Comment

I didnt think I needed 8 cores until I used it with Handbrake for a non for profit video production. As soon as I get my 12c/24t box setup I will test against the 16c AMD whennit arrives.

Comment

Working...
        X