Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases Optimizing C/C++ Compiler For Ryzen

Phoronix: AMD Releases Optimizing C/C++ Compiler For Ryzen

Longtime Phoronix readers and AMD Linux enthusiasts probably remember the AMD Open64 compiler for past CPU launches with various compiler optimizations for AMD processors. With Open64 being dead and all the compiler rage these days about LLVM/Clang, AMD has announced the "AMD Optimizing C/C++ Compiler" (AOCC) that's based upon Clang and optimized for Ryzen/Zen processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

To clarify, does this optimize the compilation process or the compiled application? Or both?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      To clarify, does this optimize the compilation process or the compiled application? Or both?
      I would imagine the latter. Ryzen is pretty wide and could probably get more IPC with more ILP optimized applications. Hopefully, this could make a difference with single threaded applications.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        it improves the compiled application performance

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

it improves the compiled application performance
          But the application has to be compiled with a specialized architecture flag? Thus, no one will benefit from it?

Comment

Michael , are you planning on some Ryzen benchmarks with llvm vs aooc? Would be particularly interested in applications that use AMD's AVX implementation

Comment

Do benches on Clear Linux

Comment

Any AMD developer could comment about it here? Wiil this changes been upstreamed to clang?

Comment

RESTRICTIONS. Except for the limited license expressly granted in Section 2 herein, You have no other rights in the Software, whether express, implied, arising by estoppel or otherwise. Further restrictions regarding Your use of the Software are set forth below. You may not:

modify or create derivative works of the Software;
                  distribute, publish, display, sublicense, assign or otherwise transfer the Software;
                  decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble or otherwise reduce the Software to a human-perceivable form (except as allowed by applicable law);
                  d) alter or remove any copyright, trademark or patent notice(s) in the Software; or
                  e) use the Software to: (i) develop inventions directly derived from Confidential Information to seek patent protection; (ii) assist in the analysis of Your patents and patent applications; or (iii) modify existing patents.
                  f) use the Software in a way that requires that the Software or any portion thereof be licensed under a Free Software License.
                  yeahhh I don't think this is gonna be upstreamed

Comment

I tried to download this, but it has 'AOCC Compiler EULA' and i don't have a time to read this now so no downlad

IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, DO NOT INSTALL, COPY OR USE THIS SOFTWARE. BY INSTALLING, COPYING OR USING THE SOFTWARE YOU AGREE TO ALL THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT.
                    OK, i won't
                    Last edited by dungeon; 16 May 2017, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X