Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Releases Optimizing C/C++ Compiler For Ryzen

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by peppercats View Post
    Seemed like you guys were just taking clang, adding patches, and holding Zen optimization hostage in a proprietary compiler.
    Good to know that's not what it is.
    This is what I don't get... Michael has already published articles about us pushing Ryzen compiler work upstream into llvm/clang and gcc, so it's not at all clear to me how a "proprietary compiler" rumor could even have started.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
      And who on earth should enable a specific architecture flag despite Gentoo users? All the software out there is compiled more generically ...
      You may not be aware, but compiler optimizations are not only for hobbyists. Anyone in the HPC world is going to compile their app for the specific model and generation of CPU in the cluster. If the gains are significant enough, the major server OS's (think RHEL and SLES) would likely adopt them as well for general purpose computing.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by zekesonxx View Post
        Because it sure looks like you took clang, made some Ryzen optimizations, and are now trying to make your own icc/icl.

        While technically legal, it's a shitty thing to do
        while you don't like it, it is what clang was made for. and what apple does with it

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by juno View Post
          Why would marketing claim it is an "AMD compiler" if it's just upstream llvm
          because it is not yet upstream. why would you ask stupid questions?

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
            And who on earth should enable a specific architecture flag despite Gentoo users?
            you will install vendor compiler, but will not change its flags? what is your problem? btw, they could make that flag default in their compiler

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Huh ? The compiler teams have been submitting Ryzen support upstream into LLVM for quite a while now.

              This is just a binary release with the standard binary EULA as far as I know.

              Why would we try to push a binary upstream ?
              You are pushing something and asking me as somehow I should imagine how me pushing something You can defend some things, but stop defending *any* fart AMD release just because it is yours and you like how it smells... i can't define better what openmind is

              Believe it or not, here LLVM is used only for mesa and your mesa dri driver, these are all users here... so you supporting and pushing dilemmas all around and then asking why people are in dilemma without realising how people are not in dilemma in the first place

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                You are pushing something and asking me as somehow I should imagine how me pushing something You can defend some things, but stop defending *any* fart AMD release just because it is yours and you like how it smells... i can't define better what openmind is
                OK, so when people say things that are factually incorrect I should just "keep an open mind" and go along with it ? Yuck.

                Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                Believe it or not, here LLVM is used only for mesa and your mesa dri driver, these are all users here... so you supporting and pushing dilemmas all around and then asking why people are in dilemma without realising how people are not in dilemma in the first place
                You people need to open your minds

                We use llvm in the ROCM HCC compiler and in OpenCL as well... in fact we were using it in OpenCL well before Tom started using it in Mesa.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  You people need to open your minds
                  Lets me open yours Here is the author of Open Source Definition:

                  https://lists.debian.org/debian-deve.../msg01641.html

                  Openminded, and here is again author of Open Source Defnition recently on North Korea border:





                  Picture in case someone does not understand words. Openminded again and here is author of Open Source Definition again recently where he switched to Devuan:

                  I installed Devuan on a laptop and will probably expand it to my other systems over time.
                  https://linux.slashdot.org/story/17/...ease-candidate

                  Openminded again... so that is the opensource and openmind in practice

                  And you, you say it all with your AOCC EULA

                  Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  We use llvm in the ROCM HCC compiler and in OpenCL as well... in fact we were using it in OpenCL well before Tom started using it in Mesa.
                  Who in the bloody hell care what AMD uses internally, in fact AMD probably use Visual Studio way more than anything else... again who cares
                  Last edited by dungeon; 16 May 2017, 11:11 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Believe it or not, here LLVM is used only for mesa and your mesa dri driver, these are all users here
                    Funny. I was sure I saw people getting a hard-on for Rust in here too.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      I don't get it? AMD (bridgman) said/confirmed they are implementing (Ryzen optimized) improvements into clang and gcc
                      Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      This is what I don't get... Michael has already published articles about us pushing Ryzen compiler work upstream into llvm/clang and gcc, so it's not at all clear to me how a "proprietary compiler" rumor could even have started.
                      And someone thinks they will not do that, they'll keep it closed and won't add it to clang and/or gcc?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X