• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomtomme
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericg View Post

SEC filing: http://investor.nvidia.com/secfiling...34&cik=1045810

Fudzilla article: http://fudzilla.com/news/graphics/42...pires-in-march

They had a patent deal which expired, the Nvidia earning report implied that Intel chose to not re-up the contract, therefore Intel needs to find someone else work with-- AMD.

Edit: just realized this is the first time I've posted in the forums in freaking forever, despite still reading Phoronix daily. Hi guys! haha
    nice comeback
    what are you doing these days eric? plans for new phoronix articles? would be great

Leave a comment:

• ford153focus
    replied
    intel igpu extremely bad, hope intel will switch to amd's gcn fully

Leave a comment:

• Nille_kungen
    replied
    This is good and understandable since AMD has more IP for iGPU.
    An IP agreement is good but i still hope that an deal would mean more then that and that we will see more laptops and motherboards paired with Radeon dGPU.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I'm not saying you're lying, but mind providing a source on this? I never heard of Intel using Nvidia's IP and I don't really see why they'd stop using it.
    SEC filing: http://investor.nvidia.com/secfiling...34&cik=1045810

Fudzilla article: http://fudzilla.com/news/graphics/42...pires-in-march

They had a patent deal which expired, the Nvidia earning report implied that Intel chose to not re-up the contract, therefore Intel needs to find someone else work with-- AMD.

Edit: just realized this is the first time I've posted in the forums in freaking forever, despite still reading Phoronix daily. Hi guys! haha

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    All it means is that Intel is hiding behind AMD IP now, whereas they used to hide behind NVidia IP.
    I'm not saying you're lying, but mind providing a source on this? I never heard of Intel using Nvidia's IP and I don't really see why they'd stop using it.

Leave a comment:

• slacka
    replied
    Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

Neither.
    All it means is that Intel is hiding behind AMD IP now, whereas they used to hide behind NVidia IP.
    This has nothing to do with integrating chunks of AMD hardware, and everything to do with patent litigation.
    Unless you have some insider info, I would be very surprised if Intel engineers don't get "inspired" by some of AMD's tech now that they have full access to the patent portfolio.

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Does it mean Intel will use AMD's architecture for the GPU, or just some of their hardware features?
    Neither.
    This has nothing to do with integrating chunks of AMD hardware, and everything to do with patent litigation.

Leave a comment:

• cb88
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Does it mean Intel will use AMD's architecture for the GPU, or just some of their hardware features?
    The Latter almost cetainly, can you imagine... using GPUs in your product manufactured by your competitor...it would be a nightmare. If they do use GPUs of the same design as radeon they will at the very least have in house hardware design teams so they don't have to worry about AMD holding them hostage.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied

Leave a comment:

• It's Come Back Up That Intel Is Reportedly Licensing Radeon Graphics IP

Phoronix: It's Come Back Up That Intel Is Reportedly Licensing Radeon Graphics IP

A few months back were the reports that Intel was looking to license Radeon graphics intellectual property for their future processors. That deal is reportedly inked...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X