It's Come Back Up That Intel Is Reportedly Licensing Radeon Graphics IP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
    What gave you that delusion? Their server CPU income is a nice, easy to comprehend number: Zero.
    Let's ignore your ridiculous exaggeration and assume you didn't mean literally zero - even though AMD's server market is on a decline (understandable, since they haven't had anything new in a while) they generated $391 million from enterprise:
    http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74...cle&ID=2268417
    It's hard to get a solid measurement on their home CPU/APU income since they combined that with their GPU income. But even if in a best case scenario their "computing and graphics" income was split 50/50, that means they earned $295.5 million for desktop parts. Last time I checked, 295.5 is less than 391. Also keep in mind this includes Ryzen sales. Let's get real though - there's absolutely no way AMD's GPU division makes less money than their desktop/laptop CPUs/APUs.

Remember, AMD hasn't had any new interesting server hardware in a while and those sales still overshadow their desktop parts.

it is flat out incorrect statement (that can easily be shown wrong by reading a 10-Q statement) that AMD makes any money from high-end server parts.
    I supplied my sources. How about you provide yours? Or would you rather like to continue looking like a jackass?
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 15 May 2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Let's ignore your ridiculous exaggeration and assume you didn't mean literally zero - even though AMD's server market is on a decline (understandable, since they haven't had anything new in a while) they generated $391 million from enterprise:
      http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74...cle&ID=2268417

Your statement is complete horse puckey and you couldn't even be arsed to read the document you linked.
      They got $391 million from the enterprise, CUSTOM and embedded business unit. Guess what: That means they get $391 almost entirely from licensing revenues of toy video game consoles, a little bit from selling embedded Kaveri and Godavari systems for digital signage, and a small rounding error for selling obsolete Opterons. However, even if they sold a few obsolete parts, they sure a hell weren't high-end high margin parts.

Comment

This reminds me that I would like to see Imagination Technology acquired by someone. Intel, ARM, AMD, Qualcomm would be by first choices.
        For whatever reason people forget what fantastic gpus (and texture compression algos) that company makes.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
          Your statement is complete horse puckey and you couldn't even be arsed to read the document you linked.
          They got $391 million from the enterprise, CUSTOM and embedded business unit. Guess what: That means they get $391 almost entirely from licensing revenues of toy video game consoles, a little bit from selling embedded Kaveri and Godavari systems for digital signage, and a small rounding error for selling obsolete Opterons. However, even if they sold a few obsolete parts, they sure a hell weren't high-end high margin parts.
          Yikes, you sure are getting desperate now. Sure, consoles helped their revenue, but not anywhere near as much as you claim. AMD is found in XB1 and PS4 for 2 reasons: they were the lowest bidder, and Nvidia didn't think the investment was worth it. When you consider Nvidia thought it wasn't profitable enough, that sure speaks about how much AMD needed the money if they managed to have a competitive price (albeit, the amount they charge per GPU is vague since it's integrated with the CPU).
          As for other embedded business units, AMD has way too much competition for that to be a major source of that $391 million. Intel, ARM, MIPS, Nvidia, and even VIA are all major competitors in the embedded devices market. I'm sure AMD got a profit from it, but if you honestly think that got them more revenue than servers, you're delusional.

I'm glad you pointed out custom chips because they work against your argument. Case in point:
          https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrick.../#67fcd0b39df8
          Note this is for x86 servers. The amount of money AMD earned from this deal is enough to prove all of your points wrong.

The fact you basically said "they sell more obsolete Opterons than high-end margin parts" is a testament to your arrogance.
          Last edited by schmidtbag; 15 May 2017, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
            Unless you have some insider info, I would be very surprised if Intel engineers don't get "inspired" by some of AMD's tech now that they have full access to the patent portfolio.
            do you understand that everyone has full access to all patent portfolios because patents are public? you just can't use them without permission

Comment

Originally posted by ford153focus View Post
              intel igpu extremely bad, hope intel will switch to amd's gcn fully
              intel had same deal with nvidia. did they switch to nvidia gpus in your imaginary world? grow some brain and buy raven ridge

Comment

Don't think it's just down to "AMD needed the consoles" I fail to see how Nvidia could make a x86 Soc without Intel and AMD. They can't simple as. Intel ain't even in the running on the graphics front which leaves AMD by default . No?

I admit NV + intel (- the x64) could have but lets be honest, The price would have been huge.

Comment

Originally posted by eigenlambda View Post
                  <i>I would be very surprised if Intel engineers don't get "inspired" by some of AMD's tech now that they have full access to the patent portfolio.</i>

if that's true, why can't nvidia sue them for previous inspirations from nvidia patents? The fact that it is possible to switch patent protection providers implies that patents don't actually say anything in particular.
                  They all are infringing on each other, so as long as they have reasonable patents on any of the IP the others are using they can force an if-you-don't-sue-us-we-won't-sue-you stalemate. (You could even say, a Gentlecorp's agreement). Intel likely doesn't own enough IP in that area to do this, so they license protection from someone who does, though which particular party doesn't really matter - one legal spiked-club is as good as another.

(I didn't say the whole thing wasn't stupid!)
                  Last edited by LaeMing; 15 May 2017, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                    nice comeback
                    what are you doing these days eric?
                    Enjoying post-college life.

Graduated in May 2016, jumped around my hometown doing random IT jobs. Ended up falling into a job with one of the big 5 tech companies around September 2016. Relocated to the DC area in October for said job. Did my Fedora + Nvidia article in October / November. Since then I've just been enjoying living on my own and settling into the new job. Didn't wind up in Journalism, which is what my major was, but I can't exactly complain with where I have ended up, especially as my first big job out of college.

It's kind of weird how I have -more- free time now than I did back in college. I come home from work, kick my shoes off, play with the 4 legged roommate and then enjoy some games with friends, read a book on the balcony, or clean up around the apartment. I was expecting to have less free time, but that's not the case.

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                    plans for new phoronix articles? would be great
                    Possibly. Total War Shogun 2 is getting a Linux port at the end of the month, and I already own the game, so I might do a port report on that one. I'll definitely do a review of Fedora 26 in a few months. I'm looking to pick up a Macbook Pro in the fall, so I'll probably give my thoughts on that as well. There's a few pieces of hardware that I'm looking to pick up in the next few months, so we'll see how Linux compatibility is on that front as they come in.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

This will probably also help with calming the licensing tensions that bubbled up back when they spun off GlobalFoundries.

Comment

Working...
                      X