No announcement yet.

It's Come Back Up That Intel Is Reportedly Licensing Radeon Graphics IP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<i>I would be very surprised if Intel engineers don't get "inspired" by some of AMD's tech now that they have full access to the patent portfolio.</i>

if that's true, why can't nvidia sue them for previous inspirations from nvidia patents? The fact that it is possible to switch patent protection providers implies that patents don't actually say anything in particular.

Comment

I always thought of these agreements Intel is making with Nvidia/AMD as "Yes, you can have a GPU in your chips, and we won't sue you for infringement of our graphics technology." Essentially hush money. It could be possible they're getting some specific tech / knowledge out of it though.

Comment

Apparently people had inside info on this a few days ago. Nvidia looks to be in a classic 'pump and dump' price rise.

Comment

I've got the feeling that unless you're a lawyer or a stockholder, there's probably nothing to see here. I mean Intel could make some improvements using the IP, but I doubt we're going to see Intel CPU with Radeon(C) graphics products.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronshere View Post
            Apparently people had inside info on this a few days ago. Nvidia looks to be in a classic 'pump and dump' price rise.
            NVidia reported stellar ER few days back and made bunch of announcements next day... this is not a pump-and-dump, though small pullback should come and it is normal

Comment

Originally posted by Ronshere View Post
              That's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on Phoronix, and that's saying something.
              The expiration of NVidia's licensing with Intel has been known for YEARS and they officially reported it in their latest quarterly statements... right before their stock shot up another 20%.

Comment

This agreement is to protect Intel from generic patents related to GPU, like Apple's famous rectangle with rounded corner format

Comment

This will be suicidal for AMD, if i was AMD i would produce only middle and strong class APUs, no standalone CPUs, no standalone GPUs. There is no reason to help Intel with standalone GPUs on the market. I would also kill the motherboard concept for both laptop and desktop. Laptops especially they are cartel today, i was searching for slim motherboards with PCI-E_16x for a totally custom made Laptop project and they where only available with 4x on the market. That is why i say there is no law anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                    This will be suicidal for AMD, if i was AMD i would produce only middle and strong class APUs, no standalone CPUs, no standalone GPUs. There is no reason to help Intel with standalone GPUs on the market. I would also kill the motherboard concept for both laptop and desktop. Laptops especially they are cartel today, i was searching for slim motherboards with PCI-E_16x for a totally custom made Laptop project and they where only available with 4x on the market. That is why i say there is no law anywhere.
                    It's highly unlikely AMD is going to license the entire GPU to Intel, just bits and pieces of it that they have patented. It wouldn't surprise me if AMD and Nvidia license each other for each other's products too.

Producing nothing but APUs would be a terrible idea for AMD. The vast majority of their income is server-class CPUs (that don't have an IGP) and discrete GPUs. Keep in mind Bulldozer was designed with servers in mind. APUs are probably more profitable than their standalone desktop CPUs, but not by a lot. I'm not sure what you're referring to in terms of "motherboard concept for both laptop and desktop". I haven't heard anywhere that AMD intends to use AM4 for laptops. Both AMD and Intel have used separate sockets for mobile platforms for at around 20 years, if not more.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      Producing nothing but APUs would be a terrible idea for AMD. The vast majority of their income is server-class CPUs (that don't have an IGP)
                      What gave you that delusion? Their server CPU income is a nice, easy to comprehend number: Zero.
                      Oh, they'd LIKE to have a bunch of server CPU income, and maybe 11 years ago or so they had some non-trivial server CPU income, but they haven't been a real force in the server room in at least a decade. They are launching Naples later this year in an attempt to gain some market share, but it is flat out incorrect statement (that can easily be shown wrong by reading a 10-Q statement) that AMD makes any money from high-end server parts.

Comment

Working...
                      X