PowerPC 64-bit To Support Up To 512TB Virtual Address Space On Linux 4.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by microcode View Post

There are only two surviving vendors, and both of them have a questionable closed source blob of software running whether the machine is on or off
    I'd love an explanation of how a cpu can run anything at all when the power is off.

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
      I'd love an explanation of how a cpu can run anything at all when the power is off.
      There are ARM cores in the chipset. How do you think Intel can advertise AMT as a system to manager company PCs even if they are turned off?

Comment

stupid vbullettin is blocking my post for Beherit above

Comment

Beherit there are ARM cores in the chipset (or in the CPU in the case of AMD's PSP)

As long as the board is powered, these are on. Do you disconnect the wall plug when you turn your PC off? Because the PSU is still providing power to the mobo through a dedicated 5v line (this is necessary for features like Wake on Lan or even the power on buttons to work at all)
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 07 May 2017, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Beherit there are ARM cores in the chipset (or in the CPU in the case of AMD's PSP)

As long as the board is powered, these are on. Do you disconnect the wall plug when you turn your PC off? Because the PSU is still providing power to the mobo through a dedicated 5v line (this is necessary for features like Wake on Lan or even the power on buttons to work at all)
            Correct - except for Intel, it's ARC (or, in some Atom parts, embedded SPARC) not ARM. Intel ME is ARC, AMD PSP is ARM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn View Post
              Correct - except for Intel, it's ARC (or, in some Atom parts, embedded SPARC) not ARM. Intel ME is ARC, AMD PSP is ARM.
              Weird. I always thought they were using ARM cores like in their network cards or SSDs.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Weird. I always thought they were using ARM cores like in their network cards or SSDs.
                My assumption is that ARC is cheaper on per-unit royalties than ARM, although I don't know that for a fact. But, well, it's what they use, for one reason or another.

Comment

so the garbage about x86 its the uefi/me/psp... stuff
                  thats a valid complaint but x86 processors are awesome
                  Last edited by davidbepo; 07 May 2017, 10:45 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
                    thats a valid complaint but x86 processors are awesome
                    Eh. They're okay. They're cheap and don't need a whole lot of tuning work to run well.

Power8 and z13 are both excellent as well, though.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
                      thats a valid complaint but x86 processors are the only thing we (normal people) have with a decent performance
                      fixed.

Comment

Working...
                      X