Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryzen 5 1600 any good for gaming?

Did anyone get it? How good is it?
    Looking for a cheapo upgrade.(AMD 6350 currently).
    Mostly will use for gaming, but also compilation.(gentoo, source based distro)

Thinking of 1600, 1600X and 1700.
    Looking at Doze benchmarks, difference between 1600 and 1600X is negligible(+-3%), but 1600 comes with cooler(30$ or so) and is 40$ cheaper.
    1700 has more cores, but it has considerably lower speed compared even to 1600, which is bad news then and there, if you are a gamer, since most OpenGL games are not optimized for more than one core.(not optimized at all in fact)

So... Share, 1600, is it worth it? How good is it with games like Deus Ex or Tomb Rader?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by dimko; 22 April 2017, 02:15 PM.

Get more cores, the 1700, if you're going to compile a lot. In games, especially ones which only load one or two cores, a cheap i7 is still noticeably faster due to it being able to clock far beyond 4 ghz.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
      Get more cores, the 1700, if you're going to compile a lot. In games, especially ones which only load one or two cores, a cheap i7 is still noticeably faster due to it being able to clock far beyond 4 ghz.
      LOL on "cheapest i7". The cheapest i7 on New egg right now is still over $300. Ryzen 5 1600 is $219 and that includes a nice cooler. When you compare this $219 chip from AMD with the same priced intel offering, which is the i5-6500, the AMD Ryzen delivers vastly better multi-threaded performance, and equal single-threaded performance. They're both clocked at 3.2 Ghz. They both turbo to 3.6 Ghz. And they're both 65 W TDP.

But the Ryzen absolutely destroys the i5 in multi-threaded performance. Heck, the Ryzen 1600 even beats the 4 Ghz i7-4790k in multi-threaded.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...00+%40+3.20GHz
      http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...5+1600&id=2984

AMD has done their homework, for sure, and if dimko you're running Gentoo, you can really make use of Ryzen's multi-threaded capabilities to reduce your compile times.
      Last edited by torsionbar28; 10 May 2017, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Thank you both for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

LOL on "cheapest i7". The cheapest i7 on New egg right now is still over $300. Ryzen 5 1600 is $219 and that includes a nice cooler. When you compare this $219 chip from AMD with the same priced intel offering, which is the i5-6500, the AMD Ryzen delivers vastly better multi-threaded performance, and equal single-threaded performance. They're both clocked at 3.2 Ghz. They both turbo to 3.6 Ghz. And they're both 65 W TDP.
          Xeon's you may be able to get significantly cheaper than i7's of equal performance grade, plus you won't be paying for iGPU (you probably would not use it anyway).. There are consumer boards workstation chipsets already on the market (Gigabyte offered some sporting C236 chipset for example). If you go that route, AMD's performance/price advantages decrease. You won't have to put up with Ryzen's "Infinity Fabric" either, which becomes performance bottleneck in certain usage scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Xeon's you may be able to get significantly cheaper than i7's of equal performance grade, plus you won't be paying for iGPU (you probably would not use it anyway).. There are consumer boards workstation chipsets already on the market (Gigabyte offered some sporting C236 chipset for example). If you go that route, AMD's performance/price advantages decrease. You won't have to put up with Ryzen's "Infinity Fabric" either, which becomes performance bottleneck in certain usage scenarios.
            Thanks for input, I was kinda thinking of asking someone to give their opinion, someone who actually has it. I am still in situation where I need to upgrade. Compilations are not THAT important, but I still do it on daily basis.

Comment

Just make sure you would pick correct chipset. There are distinctive differences in the features between C236 and C232.

Comment

A bit late, having 1600, pretty happy with it so far. Major step from 6350

Comment

Working...
                X