No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 5 Begins Shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, it's running fine with 4.1GHz at the stock 1.375 voltage. I have the RX 480 but I'm going to upgrade to Vega when it comes out. Only problem is that things like steamvr are massively cpu limited on radv, so Vega will bring zero improvement at this time.
    For example SteamVR's frame timing graph when running the Valve Lobby in the "Destinations" app:

Everything over 11 ms is extremely bad for VR, because it needs to run at 90 fps, so the CPU time spend here on a Ryzen 1600X at 4.1GHz is still way, way, way too much...

Still, nvidia with proprietary drivers is not an option.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
      Yea, it's running fine with 4.1GHz at the stock 1.375 voltage. I have the RX 480 but I'm going to upgrade to Vega when it comes out. Only problem is that things like steamvr are massively cpu limited on radv, so Vega will bring zero improvement at this time.
      For example SteamVR's frame timing graph when running the Valve Lobby in the "Destinations" app:

Everything over 11 ms is extremely bad for VR, because it needs to run at 90 fps, so the CPU time spend here on a Ryzen 1600X at 4.1GHz is still way, way, way too much...

Still, nvidia with proprietary drivers is not an option.
      not an option as in you just refuse to use them? I can very much share your sentiment its just that I have used nvidia for so long but I still want Radeon. What kind of performance are you seeing on shadow of mordor? Do you have that game? Although the RX 480 is hot running, for what you pay its looking pretty desirable especially since I have a crossfire motherboard. I am starting to contradict my for the sake of low TDP deal cause 200 for a 480 that is a hell of a steal for what you get.
      Last edited by creative; 16 April 2017, 03:53 AM.

Comment

It's not too great. Medium quality...

But then, the game itself is just really bad gameplay. I tried to do a simple sidequest, but I gave up after the third try. Two times I left the quest area. First time I didn't even realize I wasn't allowed to go as far, I was just going to hide at a convenient spot. The second time I was just jumping from a building and in the air I got the notification that I was leaving the quest area and when landing on the ground I failed. I was literally in direct sight of my target where I was just going to circle a little bit. The quest area was so small I couldn't even walk around my target. I don't understand why you would have such bad game design. What is so hard about telling the player "Here is a quest, I'll get back to you when you finished it"? Why does it need to be "Here is a quest and some completely arbitrary constraints that make neither sense in the context of the gameplay, nor in the context of the ingame story. I'm serious: There is something wrong with game designers who do that. I was moderately immersed, looking at the gameworld, figuring out the best path to take to terrorize my target, AND THEN THE GAME FUCKING FAILS ME BECAUSE I DIDN'T LOOK AT THE MAP TO STAY INSIDE ARBITRARY BOUNDARIES THAT HAVE NO JUSTIFICATIONS WHATSOEVER FOR BEING THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE. Having to look at your map all the time instead of the game world does nothing but take away from the immersion. There is no benefit.

Comment

Holy flipping twelve threads man lol! Nah man it looks like your getting good performance. I know you don't care for the game but I would turn off fsaa/motion blur/camera stuff in Mordor I believe Feral still needs to iron that out for Linux. It makes the game look blurry. I basically have everything on high or ultra with FSAA and Vsync turned off @1080p. My benchmark on that game in nix is running average=53 low=38 which is very playable. I was very frustrated playing it at first thinking why did I buy this but its one of those games that has a learning curve especially with the combat system and it is absolutely brutal. Thing I like about the game is it will throw at you like 30+ Uruks in areas and its a massive head lopping and head exploding fest, green/gray blood squirting all over the place. Only time I will really start turning things down in a game is when I can tell its going below 30fps and frequently.

I really prefer my games to run at 60+ fps with vsync on but who doesn't. I just got back from win10 buying/downloading and playing Far Cry Primal I was so annoyed setting that up, there are like 3 different phases just to get the game activated just to play it lol. I slapped everything on ultra and benched it its 35 average 31 min fps. When I play the game though I can't tell, the performance is really good, it must have something to do with the engine. That game is incredible looking I can't believe how much stuff they pack on the screen and its very playable.

Anyway thanks for showing me what the RX 480 is running like in Mordor I really appreciate it. Looks like I will be waiting at least a year before I get anything new video card wise hell I just got this 1050 ti anyway 3 months ago and its doing fine for me so far.
          Last edited by creative; 16 April 2017, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Well, looking at that screenshot again, the FPS scale quite proportional to the GPU load. So without bottlenecks it would run pretty well at over 60 fps. And again looking at the graph, the bottleneck looks like it's the number of draw calls. Mesa isn't too good at handling a massive amount of draw calls yet. I think that's where mesa_glthread would help, but feral games already have their own separate thread for opengl, so mesa_glthread only slows the game down a bit.

I think if they put their Vulkan renderer into that game, it could get some gains.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
              Turns out that the timings in radv were buggy and off by a factor of 10. It was first discovered as the GPU graph in Doom not working right, and the fix also fixes the SteamVR frame timing. GPU times are factor of 10 higher than displayed in those graphs. So a faster Vega GPU will actually help. It also makes reprojection work much better.
              Last edited by haagch; 18 April 2017, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X