AMD Ryzen 5 Begins Shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Actually, it seems inverse, but the more die space the harder it is to keeps clocks in sync.
    That's not something you're going to be running into until you get into the clock frequencies only people who use liquid nitrogen get into. However even on liquid nitrogen the R5 series actually clocks higher than the R7 series with it's additional cores.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      I don't know any instance where unlocking reflected negatively on AMD's reputation. And there is a long history of allowing unlocking, though more examples exist on the graphics side.

Radeon 9500 could be unlocked to 9700
      early Radeon HD 6950 could be unlocked to 6970
      Athlon II and Phenom II X2 could be unlocked to X3 (and X4 sometimes)
      early Radeon RX480 4 GB reference models could be unlocked to 8 GB.
      Radeon RX460 disabled shaders could be unlocked.

If an unlocked product would not work properly, nobody blamed AMD for it.
      Athlon II was "Regor" core, they could not be unlocked, Phenom II could, even some x4 (some of 960T) to x6.

To add, maybe Athlon II >x2 could be unlocked, I don't know about that, but x2 couldn't for sure.
      Last edited by leipero; 12 April 2017, 03:58 AM. Reason: Maybe Athlon II x3/4 could be unlocked

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

That's not something you're going to be running into until you get into the clock frequencies only people who use liquid nitrogen get into. However even on liquid nitrogen the R5 series actually clocks higher than the R7 series with it's additional cores.
        Actually, what you really mean to say is that AMD did a decent job on place and route. So the R5 is able to spread heat to the heatsink a little faster, due to the same size surface area and lesser heat per amount of surface area.
        Last edited by duby229; 12 April 2017, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
          Athlon II was "Regor" core, they could not be unlocked, Phenom II could, even some x4 (some of 960T) to x6.

To add, maybe Athlon II >x2 could be unlocked, I don't know about that, but x2 couldn't for sure.
          There were indeed some Athlon II models which could not be unlocked. But for majority it was possible (including Athlon II X2 based on Propus/Deneb). Also single-core Regors could be unlocked to dual core, just for the dual cores there was nothing to unlock...
          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...b54/edit#gid=0
          http://www.cpu-world.com/info/AMD/Un...es_and_L3.html

Comment

Does it87 remove the 20°C offset of the temperature shown?

I now have a Ryzen 1600X and everything works fine, but in idle, sensors says "temp1: +51.0°C" and with stress -c 12 it raises to almost 80°C. That seems both relatively high. But if this is including the offset, it would really be 31° and 60° and those temperatures wouldn't be bad.

I'm using an Alpenföhn Sella: https://www.alpenfoehn.de/cpu-kuehler/sella and a chassis fan.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
              Most of the other benchmarks of the Ryzen 5 1600 have been extremely positive. At $219, this seems to be an excellent price point for the performance.

Seems to exceed many of the i7's, the 7700 by less than 5%.

I wonder if any of the AMD BIOS makers will create the core "unlock" option to activate the inactive core pair in the package.
              http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...600/3887vs3919

And many of those are overclocked going against a locked i7. Now the 1600X is another story which is looking pretty snazzy if you ask me. BTW I am a owner of an i7 7700. Built AMD systems for years. This is the first intel build I have put together. So far its nice and am enjoying it. Lots of options out there for strong processors, choice is a very good thing. There are performance differences pertaining to particular tasks obviously. Single cored performance is measuring in 17% and quad core 11% faster on the i7 while the Ryzen on all cores speed... you know the story. Run more stuff. I never ran that many things at once so just a quad is fine for now.
              Last edited by creative; 13 April 2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                Does it87 remove the 20°C offset of the temperature shown?

I now have a Ryzen 1600X and everything works fine, but in idle, sensors says "temp1: +51.0°C" and with stress -c 12 it raises to almost 80°C. That seems both relatively high. But if this is including the offset, it would really be 31° and 60° and those temperatures wouldn't be bad.

I'm using an Alpenföhn Sella: https://www.alpenfoehn.de/cpu-kuehler/sella and a chassis fan.
                That is cause it is a 95w TDP chip. Start undervolting it I got my 8320 Vishera to idle at 34c and under a decent load about 48c air cooled using a hyper evo 212. Undervolt it until it is very stable at stock speeds or desired performance then lock those voltages in and forget about it. Even I have my 65w i7 7700 non-k undervolted. There is a sweet spot on every processor for volting/performance ratio. I would avoid auto settings like the plague on any system unless you enjoy hearing your system throttle and playing with CPU fan profiles in the bios. Metro Last Light on my 8320 made it run at a good 65c though but thats an intensive workload especially for the 8320.
                Last edited by creative; 13 April 2017, 01:01 PM.

Comment

I actually rather overclock. Runs stable at 4.1 GHz, but blacks out when putting load on it with 4.2 GHz. Tried setting the power 1.4V but no change. So 4.1GHz @ 1.375V it is.

I have the Asus Prime B350-Plus and it's actually buggy. It shows the core voltage as 1.525 with stock settings! But if you enable the "offset mode" where you can add or subtract your own voltage setting, it goes to 1.375... So maybe the 1.4V setting didn't really work. Or maybe I need to try more, but I'm not sure how safe that is...

Comment

Understood, yea Asus is only on par with MSI and Gigabyte and no more. I tend to want to say Gigabyte makes the best boards, that being said I am using an Asus z270 right now its good, just..... Motherboards are only so great, if they serve their purpose that is what counts if they cannot. You know that deal lol, another brand or a replacement board. Asus = Overrated but good.

BTW that 1600x is looking blazing quick in single core test oc'd to 4Ghz.
                    Last edited by creative; 14 April 2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

The 1600/1600x/1700 those chips look way more appealing to me than the other offerings. Kind of wish I had one. Still thankful for what I have though way way better than what I had. The back porting on kernel 4.4 for ubuntu 16.04 has come a long long way since I built system. So don't think if your experiencing bugs your machine is crap...stuff will iron out.

First time I went bleeding edge and I had to wait for the backporting and its as solid as my old vishera. I mean the thing was acting like a possessed irate hot headed madman while using kdenlive on all threads loaded down with effects. New tech comes with pains even on an intel at least it was for me in Linux. Windows 10 was another story but I don't hardly boot to that thing lol.

All I need now is a gtx 1070 itx form factor card or what AMD will hopefully be offering I have been wanting to go with Radeon in Linux for so long. I just want the drivers to perform and the card to run cool. I settled for the 1050ti. There is something about AMD graphics I find appealing especially gaming on my PS4. On my 1050 ti I have to turn digital vibrance on to sort of mimic feel. Call me crazy.
                      Last edited by creative; 14 April 2017, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X