X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• creative
    replied
    Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
    Most of the other benchmarks of the Ryzen 5 1600 have been extremely positive. At $219, this seems to be an excellent price point for the performance.

Seems to exceed many of the i7's, the 7700 by less than 5%.

I wonder if any of the AMD BIOS makers will create the core "unlock" option to activate the inactive core pair in the package.
    http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...600/3887vs3919

And many of those are overclocked going against a locked i7. Now the 1600X is another story which is looking pretty snazzy if you ask me. BTW I am a owner of an i7 7700. Built AMD systems for years. This is the first intel build I have put together. So far its nice and am enjoying it. Lots of options out there for strong processors, choice is a very good thing. There are performance differences pertaining to particular tasks obviously. Single cored performance is measuring in 17% and quad core 11% faster on the i7 while the Ryzen on all cores speed... you know the story. Run more stuff. I never ran that many things at once so just a quad is fine for now.
    Last edited by creative; 13 April 2017, 12:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• haagch
    replied
    Does it87 remove the 20°C offset of the temperature shown?

I now have a Ryzen 1600X and everything works fine, but in idle, sensors says "temp1: +51.0°C" and with stress -c 12 it raises to almost 80°C. That seems both relatively high. But if this is including the offset, it would really be 31° and 60° and those temperatures wouldn't be bad.

I'm using an Alpenföhn Sella: https://www.alpenfoehn.de/cpu-kuehler/sella and a chassis fan.

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    Originally posted by leipero View Post
    Athlon II was "Regor" core, they could not be unlocked, Phenom II could, even some x4 (some of 960T) to x6.

To add, maybe Athlon II >x2 could be unlocked, I don't know about that, but x2 couldn't for sure.
    There were indeed some Athlon II models which could not be unlocked. But for majority it was possible (including Athlon II X2 based on Propus/Deneb). Also single-core Regors could be unlocked to dual core, just for the dual cores there was nothing to unlock...
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...b54/edit#gid=0
    http://www.cpu-world.com/info/AMD/Un...es_and_L3.html

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

That's not something you're going to be running into until you get into the clock frequencies only people who use liquid nitrogen get into. However even on liquid nitrogen the R5 series actually clocks higher than the R7 series with it's additional cores.
    Actually, what you really mean to say is that AMD did a decent job on place and route. So the R5 is able to spread heat to the heatsink a little faster, due to the same size surface area and lesser heat per amount of surface area.
    Last edited by duby229; 12 April 2017, 10:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• leipero
    replied
    Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    I don't know any instance where unlocking reflected negatively on AMD's reputation. And there is a long history of allowing unlocking, though more examples exist on the graphics side.

Radeon 9500 could be unlocked to 9700
    early Radeon HD 6950 could be unlocked to 6970
    Athlon II and Phenom II X2 could be unlocked to X3 (and X4 sometimes)
    early Radeon RX480 4 GB reference models could be unlocked to 8 GB.
    Radeon RX460 disabled shaders could be unlocked.

If an unlocked product would not work properly, nobody blamed AMD for it.
    Athlon II was "Regor" core, they could not be unlocked, Phenom II could, even some x4 (some of 960T) to x6.

To add, maybe Athlon II >x2 could be unlocked, I don't know about that, but x2 couldn't for sure.
    Last edited by leipero; 12 April 2017, 03:58 AM. Reason: Maybe Athlon II x3/4 could be unlocked

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Actually, it seems inverse, but the more die space the harder it is to keeps clocks in sync.
    That's not something you're going to be running into until you get into the clock frequencies only people who use liquid nitrogen get into. However even on liquid nitrogen the R5 series actually clocks higher than the R7 series with it's additional cores.

Leave a comment:

• suberimakuri
    replied
    Single ccx might be interesting as said above, but otherwise I think not worth the money.
    I'm keen to see any laptop reviews. I will look at some zen/vega type setup for next laptop later this year (Asus Zenbook if happens?).

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    will get one of these when they get into Australian shores , im due for a New PC

Leave a comment:

• msroadkill612
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Actually, it seems inverse, but the more die space the harder it is to keeps clocks in sync.
    This is an interesting debate u guys are having. If u r right sir, could this impact on ryzens lowish memory clock issues?

ryzen products reviewed so far have all been dual ccxS - no one has tested a single ccx zen cpu. maybe it does have latency advantages?

its esp pertinent, as u would think? the zen/vega apu will be one cpu ccx and 1 vega gpu glued together like a ryzen dual ccx.

if so, the cpu in the apu will be as u describe, not like the ryzens so far tested.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

This is only really an issue when scheduling isn't aware of this. When it is, it's not that a big of a deal avoiding this hazard. Also, being spread across more silicon there's obviously the thermal advantage that allows for better manual overclocking and the dynamic clocking to work better.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X