Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's 5-Level Paging Support Being Prepped For Linux 4.12

Phoronix: Intel's 5-Level Paging Support Being Prepped For Linux 4.12

For months there have been Intel developers working on 5-level paging to increase Linux's virtual/physical address space limitations and with Linux 4.12 it looks like that will be supported...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Five level paging allows raising the Linux x86_64 limitation of 256 TiB of virtual address space to 128 PiB and raises the physical address space limit from 64 TiB to 4 PiB.
    640 PB oughta be enough for anybody right now.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Five level paging allows raising the Linux x86_64 limitation of 256 TiB of virtual address space to 128 PiB and raises the physical address space limit from 64 TiB to 4 PiB. While 64 TiB of memory may seem like a lot, some Intel customers are already hitting this limitation. The 5-level paging support
      Michael, this part of the article is incomplete.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Michael, this part of the article is incomplete.
        I'm just stoked that I got my post in before the editor showed up.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
          I dunno, if you're running a clunky bloated DE like GNOME 3, that might be cutting it close.

Comment

Sweet, we can finally run 2 instances of Eclipse and have 10 tabs open in Chrome/ium!

Comment

I hope this isn't their plan for Optane on Linux...

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
                I hope this isn't their plan for Optane on Linux...
                Same i was really hoping to get a small m.2 xdd (xpoint disk drive?) for my OS for my next build.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

You might find it amusing but the 64TB physical memory limit a major issue for big iron main frames.
                  E.g. The soon (?) to be released Xeon E5/7 v5 are rumored to double the memory limit per sock, meaning a 4S machine will be limited to 24TB RAM, and a 8S machine will be limited to 48TB RAM, far too close to the 64TB RAM.
                  Plus, super-computer-in-box, such as the SGI UV 300 already hitting the 64TB limit, making it essential for Linux to support 5-level paging.

- Gilboa
                  oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                  oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                  oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

Same i was really hoping to get a small m.2 xdd (xpoint disk drive?) for my OS for my next build.
                    My hope was the same as well. I keep media on my NAS so one of these small Optane drives with a cheap SATA SSD for anything extra would be amazing.

Comment

Working...
                    X