Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    explanation of 16 thread result is 4 channels of memory on 5960x
    Yep, probably 4 and 8 thread too (unless Michael comes back and says the 5960 was reconfigured with 2 channels for these tests) plus the Ryzen system is probably still running memory at 2133 MHz for now until all the required BIOS updates are available.

What I like about this test is that it's probably one of the more bandwidth-limited benchmarks we have seen, so once memory speeds start to go up there should be some interesting impact on the results.

AIDA64 and Sandra benchmarks show 33-50% bandwidth improvement going from 2133 to 3200 MHz, and there *might* be some additional improvement from the data fabric running faster as well (I say "might" because the numbers don't suggest that inter-CCX communication is a big factor).
    Last edited by bridgman; 16 March 2017, 08:38 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
      5, code was compiled with -mtune=generic, so far from what one would use doing soem real work.
      I believe the bench uses the tuning from OPM. You will find the logics here:
      https://github.com/OPM/opm-common/bl...mization.cmake
      In other words, -O2 -mtune=native -DNDEBUG
      while -flto is turned off due to compiler bugs. Using more aggresive compiler switches might give you 10-20% better performance.

Comment

More powerful cpu demonstrates better performance -- they suggest gimping it while calling it overpriced. Seems legit.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          These clock frequencies match that of the Ryzen 7 1800X with its base and turbo frequencies, but the E3-1270 v5 sells for around $300 USD while the 1800X is around $500.
          Ryzen 7 1800X and Xeon E3 1270 v5 that are clocked the same, but with this Xeon E3 part retailing for almost $200 less for this quad-core + HT workstation CPU.
          Ugh, what does the Ryzen 7 1800X costs vs i7-5960X? it is not mentioned in the article...

Michael
          How come I never see you mention the cheaper AMD part? These one sided price comparisons don't bode well for the neutrality of a benchmarking site...

Comment

Originally posted by faph View Post
            Ugh, what does the Ryzen 7 1800X costs vs i7-5960X? it is not mentioned in the article...
            1800X, 586 Euros vs 5960X, 1200 Euros
            Yeah, the Intel one costs about double.

I hope AMD's problematic 16 thread performance can be patched via kernel updates.

Personally I'm not in a hurry so I'll wait probably for the next CPU generation. i5-4670K is quite good for games but more threads would be nice for actual work.

Originally posted by faph View Post
            How come I never see you mention the cheaper AMD part? These one sided price comparisons don't bode well for the neutrality of a benchmarking site...
            I agree it's somewhat unfair to not mention you're comparing so differently priced products, the comparison itself is legitimate though. You compare the very best Intel and AMD have to offer.

Comment

Michael if you want a good test workload, try the monster that is compiling LLVM. Probably the largest pain in the ass thing to compile!

Comment

I wonder what's perf/power ratio here. After all, a 1800X has a TDP of 95W while the Core i7 5960Xhas a TDP of 140W, aye...

Comment

I wished you could test the impact of a decent heatsink and cooling system on the performance of New cpus. Ryzen has auto over clock feature.

Comment

Originally posted by keivan View Post
                    I wished you could test the impact of a decent heatsink and cooling system on the performance of New cpus. Ryzen has auto over clock feature.
                    true this would be very interessting.

Comment

Originally posted by funfunctor View Post
                      Michael if you want a good test workload, try the monster that is compiling LLVM. Probably the largest pain in the ass thing to compile!
                      Compiling Firefox, Chromium, LibreOffice and Unreal Engine 4 are all good contenders for that.

Comment

Working...
                      X