GeForce GTX 1080 Ti: Core i7 7700K vs. Ryzen 7 1800X Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@indepe
    Ryzen's single-core performance is just fine; it is directly comparable to Intel's. I don't understand where people are getting this from. Even if just looking at game benchmarks, most of the games Ryzen does poorly in are multi-threaded.

mlau
    I'm not so sure about that. From what I recall, other benchmarks showing the 1800X vs the 7700K at stock speeds (with boosts enabled) don't show results contrasting this much.

Comment

I'd like to see a relative improvement benchmark in 3 months, on how much the situation improved. Some of those results are very fishy and may show not only optimized vs unoptimized differences, but also bugs in the process-handling at a whole. It may be worthwhile to keep this versions and make incremental changes to check their individual influence, instead of just throwing a bunch of fixes on the wall and hope for the best.

Anyhow, the raw-power of Ryzen is not on the street but still sleeping in the bed.

Comment

One of the interesting articles if someone wanna really compare AMD Ryzen vs Intel Kaby, he should do it at same clock, same memory, same number of cores, same xyz

http://www.zolkorn.com/en/amd-ryzen-...e-en/view-all/

AMD's offcial is that Ryzen is 6.8% slower than Kaby on singlthread IPC at 1080p and that is all, of course Kaby also has clock advantage. That on same memory clock of course also, same everything... anything else diff are due software bugs
        Last edited by dungeon; 12 March 2017, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Why does it perform so bad on Vulkan (Dota 2)? Is that a source 2 thing or is it across the board like that?

Does the 4.10 and 4.11 kernels give better performance?

Comment

Hi yall,

some game reviewers, are failing to see the wood, because the trees are getting in the way. Mind you, Michael rightly muses about sane coding making use of multi-cores. But and it is a biggie and has been mentioned once or twice on the interwebs, code/games/etc needs to be tailored to CPU & Ryzen is a new born.

Have a wee listen and look see @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylvdSnEbL50.

Try not to be too parochial when watching? ;-)

Now if only ASUS sorts it supply issues out, I can build 1800X system. The motherboard is the only thing missing. Come to me Crosshair Six! #firstworldissues

GreekGeek :-)

Comment

I believe tests on Windows with the 1080 (non-TI) show a much smaller difference.

Comment

Going to go out on a limb and guess a lot of this has to do with issues related to the CPU governor and, maybe, turbo.

Have you confirmed that the turbo actually works in Linux, Michael?

Comment

Maybe Zen performed so badly because 4.9 kernel does not have this patch?

Thats why IMHO it is not quite proper to test fresh hardware on "stable" kernels

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    @indepe
                    Ryzen's single-core performance is just fine; it is directly comparable to Intel's. I don't understand where people are getting this from. Even if just looking at game benchmarks, most of the games Ryzen does poorly in are multi-threaded.
                    Look at the single thread results here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11170/...0x-and-1700/22
                    Ryzen's IPC is comparable to Intel's. But given the clock speed difference, single core performance isn't. It's in the same ballpark, but lagging. Though, not by the margin Michael has found in many games...

Comment

Possibly a consequence of games being compiled with more Intel-oriented optimisation settings?

Comment

Working...
                      X