Running The Ryzen 7 1700 At 4.0GHz On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Check Michael's 4.11 + Ryzen article - looks like there was a big jump in Vulkan performance just from changing kernels. Not sure if that is "fixing a Ryzen issue" or just "making stuff go faster" though...
    I've been testing Ryzen 7 1700 on Windows 10 and Linux with kernel 4.11 git. There are definitely issues on the Windows side affecting performance that I haven't seen on the Linux side. I'm going to guess that it has to do with how the scheduling works especially seeing how the performance changes by disabling SMT on Windows.

Comment

So, AMD says B350 mobos are capable of overclocking, but are they ALL able to overclock? The b350 boards I've been looking at from MSI & Gigabyte in the $90-120 range don't advertise overclocking as a feature. Thanks to anyone with the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post
        So, AMD says B350 mobos are capable of overclocking, but are they ALL able to overclock? The b350 boards I've been looking at from MSI & Gigabyte in the $90-120 range don't advertise overclocking as a feature. Thanks to anyone with the answer.
        I got b350 mis board coming tomorrow or Tuesday
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post

I've been testing Ryzen 7 1700 on Windows 10 and Linux with kernel 4.11 git. There are definitely issues on the Windows side affecting performance that I haven't seen on the Linux side. I'm going to guess that it has to do with how the scheduling works especially seeing how the performance changes by disabling SMT on Windows.
          Try using the Performance power profile on Windows. I heard it improves performance a lot for Ryzen a.k.a. there's something wrong with how Windows handles P-states on Ryzen

​

Comment

andrebrait that isn't. I have all 8 cores locked at 3.9 GHz. Stock it makes a huge difference, but overclocked it does not.

Comment

ConvexEd I was able to get 3.8 gigahertz on all course with the stock cooler with the 1700.

Comment

Originally posted by plasma5 View Post
                Nice are the 4GHz mprime torture test stable?
                mrpime doesn't currently detect the CPU properly and will pick the K10 kernel, which doesn't use AVX/AVX2. Version 29, currently under development, most likely will, but it's buggy at present. Version 29 uses hwloc for hardware detection and has an easier to use benchmarking interface.

The real test of stability is turning in a matching double check Lucas-Lehmer assignment, which should take two days or so using all cores. Not all overclocking-induced errors will cause a crash. About 3% of Lucas-Lehmer test results turned in at mersenne.org are bad.

Comment

Michael, what is the idle power consumption with and without this overclock?

Comment

I don't think i would go this much on air, CPU probably going from 65W to 150W there

Originally posted by plasma5 View Post
                    Nice are the 4GHz mprime torture test stable?
                    I don't think so But yeah Michael should try running mprime together with unigine valley for example at least 2 hours minimum... to claim safe stable OC.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rose View Post
                      Michael, what is the idle power consumption with and without this overclock?
                      Others get less then plus 10W on idle, of course total on load goes much higher

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...112#post936112
                      Last edited by dungeon; 05 March 2017, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X