AMD Ryzen CPU Core Scaling Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For your information
    Our AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Linux benchmarks comparing AMD's newest Zen-based chip against several generations of Intel's server and workstation portfolio

Comment

I wonder if that shrewd new branch prediction thing inside Ryzen would make a big difference on mixed benchmarks (running two different benchmarks in parallel), this might be very interesting because it's a more typical workload (like playing a game and streaming video at the same time).

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
        It's not magic, basically all the mainboard vendors screwed up their BIOS/UEFIs.
        Looks like they underestimated Zen for too long and when they realised that there is money to be made, they rushed and pushed out crap.
        This is actually pretty normal, on average, default board firmware on any system barely works with Windows and is rushed as fuck. It isn't until around a year after product release that the board firmware reaches maturity.

Comment

Originally posted by indepe View Post
          The Dota 2 Vulkan numbers are really strange. SMT aside, 4-0 is slower than 3-0 and 2-0. This doesn't seem to make sense. And all cores enabled is the slowest result of all? I'm not sure the explanation would be SMT, in this case.
          When many cores are used the turbo goes down to the base frequency in order to keep the TDP inside limits. That's how turbo boost works. So less cores more Hz is the solution for gaming but also more consumption per op.

Comment

And AMD CPUs are still ridicolously complex to understand. All this 4+4 and 0+7 and 6+1 is really funny.

Good to see that they deliver good performance and that apart from games all is well. Very good.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

So both 2+2 and 4+0 mean 8 threads and SMT is enabled in all cases? Which would mean that the section about SMT in this Phoronix article is incorrect.
              2+2 and 4+0 means that there are in total 4 cores active. It doesn't say anything about SMT.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                This is actually pretty normal, on average, default board firmware on any system barely works with Windows and is rushed as fuck. It isn't until around a year after product release that the board firmware reaches maturity.
                Yeah, sometimes even a new revision of Hardware is necessary, e.g. for the Intel P67 chipset launch.

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                When many cores are used the turbo goes down to the base frequency
                Suggesting that there are actually more cores used. And if they would be used properly, more cores (up to 7x) at 90% the clock speed would still be way faster.

Originally posted by indepe View Post
                I just understood it the way the article seemed to be suggesting, and your answers lacked the verbosity for me to understand exactly what you were saying. I don't think you can expect anyone here to be well informed regarding the Zen's inner architecture.
                I didn't mean to sound rudely, just did not want to repeat myself.
                But yeah, it should be fixed in the article ASAP to prevent more confusion.
                Last edited by juno; 04 March 2017, 05:28 PM.

Comment

If you look at the OpenBenchmarking results, you can clearly see:

Code:
                  1 + 1
                  AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core @ 3.00GHz (4 Cores)

2 + 0
                  AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core @ 3.00GHz (4 Cores)

2 + 2
                  AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core @ 3.00GHz (8 Cores)

3 + 0
                  AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core @ 3.00GHz (6 Cores)

3 + 3
                  AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core @ 3.00GHz (12 Cores)

4 + 0
                  AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core @ 3.00GHz (8 Cores)

All
                  AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core @ 3.00GHz (16 Cores)
                  That SMT is enabled for all tests.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackArchon View Post
                    2+2 and 4+0 means that there are in total 4 cores active. It doesn't say anything about SMT.
                    Which means SMT is enabled, since the tested motherboard has no option to turn off SMT.

Comment

It seems strange to me that the 2+2 config is nearly across the board within margin of 4+0. Since we know Ryzen has 4 integer units per core the only way that would be possible is if it is bottlenecked at 2 instructions per cycle per thread. And that would most likely be at the instruction decoder. That would explain why it lags single threaded performance.

EDIT: Disregard, I totally misunderstood. After reading more of this thread I realized my mistake.
                      Last edited by duby229; 04 March 2017, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X