Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On page 1:
    Originally posted by Article
    But with the cut-down frequency and also lacking XFR support, the Ryzen 7 1700 has the TDP being dropped from 95 Watts to 65 Watts.
    Are you sure about this? Anandtech seemed to think that all the Ryzen series would have XFR, just that the models with the 'X' on the end would have a +200MHz cap instead of +100MHz.

Comment

Vulkan parts are interesting. Would still be nice to see with SMT disabled, but Linux certainly needs better scheduling for Zen's architecture.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamsterkill View Post
        Are you sure about this? Anandtech seemed to think that all the Ryzen series would have XFR, just that the models with the 'X' on the end would have a +200MHz cap instead of +100MHz.
        AFAIK All R7 series chips have XFR, but the chipset has to support it and right now only the X370 chipset does so. Not only that, but the 1700 only has 50 additional MHz of XFR room so it won't clock any higher than 3.75 GHz.

Seriously thou, this is further adding insult to injury with my personal Ryzen debacle. If you didn't read my last post on the subject I found out the day before release that the retailer I'm ordering my R7 1700 from won't be getting any ATX size AM4 motherboards until next week and yesterday I found out that the only other store in the country that also has Ryzen CPUs available from launch day won't be getting any motherboards until the 23rd, i.e 3 weeks after launch of the CPU. The former is just kind of annoying when there was no indication of this until just before the launch and the latter is so bad it's actually funny.

I should however be receiving my R7 1700 and aftermarket cooler tomorrow so I may end up doing some slightly off the wall benchmarks where I test how well it does as a paperweight. Because that's what it'll be until I can get my hands on an AM4 motherboard.

Comment

Micheal you should see what you can get out of this 1700 cpu in bios in regards to overclock. I think a stable 3.9ghz overclock shouldn't be too hard to achieve?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            Micheal you should see what you can get out of this 1700 cpu in bios in regards to overclock. I think a stable 3.9ghz overclock shouldn't be too hard to achieve?
            I'll play with overclocking this weekend or so
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I am a bit puzzled by the heatsink being round since the cpu is square. Couldn't this lead to some heating issues near the corners eventually?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronshere View Post
                I am a bit puzzled by the heatsink being round since the cpu is square. Couldn't this lead to some heating issues near the corners eventually?
                I hope this is a joke.

Comment

Pretty solid performance for the money. I think I'll wait for the lower-tier chips to come out since I don't need 8 cores at the moment. I'm curious if they release a high-clocked quad core SMT part.

Comment

For this initial testing I was running the Ryzen 7 1700 CPU in the same setup as the Ryzen 7 1800X so far: the MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM motherboard, Corsair 2 x 8GB DDR4-2133 memory
                    That's interesting (2133 memory). Thought we were trying to send out faster kits (eg 3000). My impression from other reviews was that the 1800X could make good use of faster memory.

--------------------

EDIT - looking at other reviews and reading between the lines a bit it may be that the BIOSes on some mobos don't have timings to run 3000 memory at anything between 2133 and 3000 yet.

--------------------

I wasn't able to find much in the way of benchmarks with varying RAM speed but I did find this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...ing_ram_speed/

(click on the + under "Unmatched Memory Performance" in the motherboard brochure if you want original source)
                    Last edited by bridgman; 03 March 2017, 09:03 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

AFAIK All R7 series chips have XFR, but the chipset has to support it and right now only the X370 chipset does so. Not only that, but the 1700 only has 50 additional MHz of XFR room so it won't clock any higher than 3.75 GHz.

Seriously thou, this is further adding insult to injury with my personal Ryzen debacle. If you didn't read my last post on the subject I found out the day before release that the retailer I'm ordering my R7 1700 from won't be getting any ATX size AM4 motherboards until next week and yesterday I found out that the only other store in the country that also has Ryzen CPUs available from launch day won't be getting any motherboards until the 23rd, i.e 3 weeks after launch of the CPU. The former is just kind of annoying when there was no indication of this until just before the launch and the latter is so bad it's actually funny.

I should however be receiving my R7 1700 and aftermarket cooler tomorrow so I may end up doing some slightly off the wall benchmarks where I test how well it does as a paperweight. Because that's what it'll be until I can get my hands on an AM4 motherboard.
                      I'm really sorry for your situation but thanks for the laugh.

I don't game like I used to, so I've been planning to wait until summer or fall to upgrade. The price war between AMD and Intel may even heat up a bit, and save me a few bucks for the delay.

Comment

Working...
                      X