AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Linux Benchmarks: Great Multi-Core Performance For $329

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Linux Benchmarks: Great Multi-Core Performance For $329

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Linux Benchmarks: Great Multi-Core Performance For $329

Yesterday we posted launch-day Ryzen 7 1800X Linux benchmarks that were particularly appealing for multi-core / heavily-threaded workloads like code compilation. Given all the code compilation done by Linux users in particular, if you were intrigued by the Ryzen 7 1800X performance but find the $499 USD price-tag to be too higher, today I have my initial benchmark figures on the Ryzen 7 1700. The Ryzen 7 1700 is still eight cores and sixteen threads but will only set you back $329 USD as the current low-end Ryzen processor for what's currently available.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=24241

How come it takes 8 minutes for your Athlon II X3 425 to compile the Linux Kernel, when my FX 6300 OC'd at 4.4 GHz takes around 30 with all 6 cores? Do you do any optimization in the config, Michael?
    And then it takes 11 minutes for the 'Ryzer 7 1700' to do the BMW scene in Blender, when my FX 6300 does it in 7?

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
      How come it takes 8 minutes for your Athlon II X3 425 to compile the Linux Kernel, when my FX 6300 OC'd at 4.4 GHz takes around 30 with all 6 cores? Do you do any optimization in the config, Michael?
      And then it takes 11 minutes for the 'Ryzer 7 1700' to do the BMW scene in Blender, when my FX 6300 does it in 7?
      I would assume he has a minimal kernel config for benchmarking. As for the Blender test, maybe is it the resolution/quality?

Comment

PTS uses a defconfig for the kernel build. I would guess you are using something else. For Blender, probably either you are using a customized config or a different version?
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Seems the 1700 is a much better value, especially if you overclock it to 1800X speeds.

Comment

yeah, my allmodsconfig for binary distribution even takes much longer than that ;-)

https://t2-project.org/packages/linux.html

Comment

Looks likes Ryzen is the CPU of choice for kernel developers then, … - could naturally yield to much better Zen optimization for the kernel in the long run ;-)

Comment

So, the gaming benchmarks are with an R9 Fury. Could we see benchmarks with an Nvidia card too, just to see if that changes anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

PTS uses a defconfig for the kernel build. I would guess you are using something else. For Blender, probably either you are using a customized config or a different version?
                  Nope, just vanilla Blender 2.78c, but I've been doing the benchmark since way before and that means I've used the same version as you (2.78a). I open the file and hit F12.

I'll check defconfig, see what it's about.
                  Last edited by Amarildo; 03-03-2017, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

I would assume he has a minimal kernel config for benchmarking. As for the Blender test, maybe is it the resolution/quality?
                    I imagined that too. I use Arch's Git configs to build the kernel, but with agdf5's amd-staging tree. The same 30 mins for all the other kernels using Arch's configs, that means grsec, vanilla Linux, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X