Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Impact Of GCC Zen Compiler Tuning On AMD Ryzen Performance

Phoronix: The Impact Of GCC Zen Compiler Tuning On AMD Ryzen Performance

The latest in our AMD Ryzen Linux benchmarking is looking at the impact of compiled binaries when making use of Zen "znver1" compiler optimizations with the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) compared to other optimization levels like Bulldozer and K8-SSE3.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Try -march=haswell -mtune=haswell -mno-rdrnd and -march=haswell -mtune=znver1 -mno-rdrnd -mprefer-avx128 -mvzeroupper.
    You will see more interesting results.
    Last edited by qsmcomp; 03 March 2017, 11:08 AM.

Comment

you might get better results with -O2, -O3 can be unpredictable.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
        with
        O3 -fno-inline-functions -funroll-loops -fpeel-loops -ftracer
        the results might be more 'tricky'.

Comment

yea yea, he knows that for sure, I'd just rather see something I'd actually use like -O2 -mtune=znver1

Comment

yea yea, he knows that for sure, I'd just rather see something I'd actually use like -O2 -mtune=znver1
            I would like to see the difference between codes optimized for Intel CPUs and codes optimized for AMD with similar instruction sets.

Comment

Why not -march=native?

Comment

Originally posted by Xorg View Post
                Why not -march=native?
                -march=native is used in previous benchmarks.

Comment

Himeno benchmark score is affected by the performance of a computer, especially memory band width.

I was curious why Ryzen stinks at Himeno and it appears to be more related to the size of the cache and bandwidth with main memory.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                    Himeno benchmark score is affected by the performance of a computer, especially memory band width.

I was curious why Ryzen stinks at Himeno and it appears to be more related to the size of the cache and bandwidth with main memory.
                    The Himeno benchmark seems to be designed to always do the opposite of what you'd expect. (just joking)

Comment

Working...
                    X