AMD Ryzen 7 1800X vs. Intel Core i7 7700K Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 7 1800X vs. Intel Core i7 7700K Linux Gaming Performance

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X vs. Intel Core i7 7700K Linux Gaming Performance

For those craving some Linux gaming benchmarks from the newly-released AMD Ryzen 7 1800X processor, here are some test results. In this initial comparison are benchmarks of the Ryzen 7 1800K to Core i7 7700K when running these processors at stock speeds while using a Radeon R9 Fury graphics card paired with AMDGPU+RadeonSI for the Linux graphics driver stack.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux gaming test were always fun, even if you just change... whatever

Comment

I'm getting the impression that Ryzen-specific compiler optimizations may have a very strong potential (and/or utility functions optimized for Ryzen).

Comment

Okay I have to say that premium subscriber feature of the "upcoming" article with the countdown is pretty cool, never noticed that before.

On the topic, optimizations both for Ryzen in general and threaded performance for games can't come fast enough.

Comment

Apparently AMD has suggested to disable SMT for gaming benchmarks - seems to have made a marked difference for some games on the Windows benchmarks I have seen. It would also be cool to see how it compares to the FX-8370 like the previous article

Comment

ATM there are some issues with Ryzen, such as memory controller not going above 2933mhz (its meant to be 3600), and other optimization issues. I expect in 6months these will start becoming on par with the 7700k, however its still not a gaming CPU so those who blindly pre-ordered for that purpose will be disappointed.

The Ryzen CPU's also appear to be poor overclockers with most topping out BELOW 4.1ghz which is quite low, most intel cpu's can handle 4.4ghz without much sweat. Ryzen performs best doing workstation intensive work such as rendering etc... where its 16threads can be put to use. I suspected this might end up being the case.

I do hope AMD can produce CPU's in the future that have the potential to reach even 4.5+ghz, that would be fantastic but perhaps out of reach for AMD atm?

I sure hope we are not disappointed with the top VEGA card, Its basically going to be the Fury X on steroids which should be good?!?!
            Last edited by theriddick; 02 March 2017, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Are those power consumption numbers just being taken at the wall or are they actually CPU power draw vs. system power draw?

I'm asking because it's easy for the RyZen systems to show lower power draw numbers if they aren't properly feeding the GPU. The GPU is a bigger power consumer than the CPU in the first place, so those power numbers don't really mean a whole lot.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                Are those power consumption numbers just being taken at the wall or are they actually CPU power draw vs. system power draw?

I'm asking because it's easy for the RyZen systems to show lower power draw numbers if they aren't properly feeding the GPU. The GPU is a bigger power consumer than the CPU in the first place, so those power numbers don't really mean a whole lot.
                As always, it's overall system power draw being measured AC end via the WattsUp Pro.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

1800x doesn't compete with 7700k. it competes with 6900k(and utterly destroys it). for 7700k competition you have to wait for 4 core ryzens

Comment

can you make your test again, with Nvidia GPUs?
                    TY!

Comment

Working...
                    X