No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X vs. Intel Core i7 7700K Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for the tests, Michael, especially in such short time!
    So, somewhat similar results to Windows benchmarks: Games - not quite as good, multithreaded applications - pretty good. I heard from the Windows POV that the most current BIOS versions made quite significant changes, so any Ryzen users may want to try keeping that up to date, especially with the memory problems so far. Not sure if the used BIOS version has been stated by you in either of the articles (unless the v1.0 in the Motherboard name description refers to the BIOS version), Michael, but there is a version 1.1 BIOS out there since March 1st for your board. May be interesting if that changes anything, if that's not the one on the board yet.

Comment

And thanks to the Phoronix reader who wrote me a lengthy email suggesting we shouldn't be benchmarking Ryzen Linux gaming performance until early 2018 as it's unfair...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Panek View Post
        So, somewhat similar results to Windows benchmarks: Games - not quite as good, multithreaded applications - pretty good. I heard from the Windows POV that the most current BIOS versions made quite significant changes, so any Ryzen users may want to try keeping that up to date, especially with the memory problems so far. Not sure if the used BIOS version has been stated by you in either of the articles (unless the v1.0 in the Motherboard name description refers to the BIOS version), Michael, but there is a version 1.1 BIOS out there since March 1st for your board. May be interesting if that changes anything, if that's not the one on the board yet.
        Not quite as good as the 7700k. But not as bad as we see here.

Comment

Originally posted by Panek View Post
          The BIOS version not being listed is due to a shortcoming of Linux. I was using for this board its version 117 [what arrived on the board to me was 115], which was supplied to me by AMD yesterday as the latest; at least as of yesterday, no BIOS versions were listed on the MSI website for this board.

But beyond that, the BIOS version isn't exposed (maybe via dmidecode when running as root, haven't checked in this particular instance) and thus isn't something PTS can parse and report to the benchmarking results. If there happens to be some interface available to reliably read a board's BIOS version, happy to add support to PTS for it.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            And thanks to the Phoronix reader who wrote me a lengthy email suggesting we shouldn't be benchmarking Ryzen Linux gaming performance until early 2018 as it's unfair...
            Funny... Although given the manpower available at AMD it might be depressingly accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post

Funny... Although given the manpower available at AMD it might be depressingly accurate.
              Since the first batch of Ryzen chips are sold out completely now at Amazon (so says Tom's Hardware) and Fry's, and the R7 1800X is sold out at Newegg, I think AMD is going to have the money for new hires soon.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                1800x doesn't compete with 7700k. it competes with 6900k(and utterly destroys it). for 7700k competition you have to wait for 4 core ryzens
                Not in gaming tests it doesn't. Ryzen also falls behind in memory bandwidth performance and has a lot less PCIe lanes compared to 6900k.

Comment

It is weird, and Fury video cards had this too: AMD product is relatively closer in performance at high rez (4K) that medium rez (1080p) compared to intel.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
                    It is weird, and Fury video cards had this too: AMD product is relatively closer in performance at high rez (4K) that medium rez (1080p) compared to intel.
                    That's expected. High resolutions moves the bottleneck to the GPU rather than the CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      Ha, ha, who is that troll It might be put on hold a bit, because that sound chip isn't supported as that might also produce some weird numbers also, but 2018., ha, ha

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
                      After looking at many reviews, Windows doesn't have this problem so this issue is Linux specific.
                      Linux is top diverse community and we don't hide issues, these were actually expected

It is not true that Windows does not have some of these issues, some weirdness happen there also even AMD's people point out how some benchmark sites spot some slowmo with some games on low resoultions

This video for example speak that story, consistently slower on 1080p but on par at 4K (and that is not even against 7700K)

Ideally Windows vs Linux should be done on same machine and compare not performance against OSes but just percentage diffs -so just on Linux and just of Windows, with that info we can conlude if we have system issue differences or it is something else.

If percentage diff Intel against AMD is the same for both OSes it is what it is for average Joe, otherwise we have some linux specific botleneck to invesitigate or tweak...

Here you have Metro 1080p 140 fps vs 128 fps, did you missed that?
                      Last edited by dungeon; 03 March 2017, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X