AMD's Ryzen Will Really Like A Newer Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    NVMe is the newest and coolest, it does not matter that you could just use one of the zillions of 10$ pcie adapters with heatsink on a normal x4 PCIE slot, they MUST integrate it in the mobo, wasting space, making a SSD-only connector (that form factor is used ony by SSDs and some wifi cards that don't really need x4 PCIE bandwith) and forcing stupid compromises because of required Sata interface in there.

On laptops M.2 is a godsend instead. That's the reason it exists and where it really belongs.
    That poses a problem with (fast)booting i believe. having an m.2 is nice for boot drive.

Comment

Michael just subscribed to the big premium
      It would be nice to see some full disk encryption read/write tests.
      Any reason you no longer post to Google+?

Comment

Originally posted by baxeno View Post
        Michael just subscribed to the big premium
        It would be nice to see some full disk encryption read/write tests.
        Any reason you no longer post to Google+?
        Thanks and welcome!

Google+ has been broken for me and haven't even been able to figure out how to post new content to Google+.... Will try again and see if they fixed their UI at all....

For these tests are you interested in the disk encryption tests from Ryzen? Let me know if anything in particular and will make those tests happen, feel free to email directly to michael at phoronix.com with any feedback. Thanks.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks for the article!
          My R7 1700 should arrive in few hours and I'd like to prepare for that. So far I installed the Ubuntu hardware enablement stack for 16.04, which brings in kernel 4.8. Reading your article, I fear that might not be enough to get the best out of Ryzen. Unfortunately when installing the 4.10.1 Kernel from the mainline PPA, dkms complains and can't build the module. (ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-4.10.1-041001-generic is not supported)

Did anyone try this as well, or otherwise managed to run Pascal class Nvidia boards with Ubuntu and kernel 4.10?

Does the Nvidia driver work already under Ubuntu 17.04?

Comment

I just set up a R7 1700 with an ASUS PRIME X370-PRO motherboard and an Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti using Ubuntu and will share what I have learned so far. After flashing the latest bios (0604) to the MB, I tried installing Ubuntu 17.04, but it was hanging on boot.

Then I tried Ubuntu 16.04 which was kernel 4.8 by default, and that booted. I then updated the system with apt-get.

After I upgraded the kernel to 4.11, I was again getting a hang on boot. I don't know if it was the same hang as before, because I don't seem to have captured the original hang error message anywhere.

But then I discovered the Grub menu (Grub newbie here) and was able to still boot into 4.8 by manually selecting it each time.

Then I made the mistake of trying to install Nvidia's CUDA libraries. Which normally would not be a mistake, but in this case I noticed from messages in the console during install that it seemed to be noticing that there was a 4.11 kernel present (even though I was running 4.8) and a lot of the messages looked like they were installing 4.11 versions of stuff, or integrating with 4.11. Which seemed odd. The real problem happened when I rebooted. The GUI came back up with a login prompt, but now logging in didn't get me past the login prompt. I would put in my password, it would think for a bit, then the login prompt would flash and still be there. I also tried an intentionally bad password to see if it was the same behavior, and it wasn't. With a bad password, it told me I had a bad password. With my good password, it just didn't log me in, and I was stuck.

Then it seems at the same time Grub got killed as well. I couldn't access it anymore during boot.

So, I erased the partition and reinstalled Ubuntu 16.04 with its 4.8 kernel. This is glossing over the part where I first tried reinstalling, but it unhelpfully remembered all my old (broken) tweaks leaving the now unwanted 4.11 kernel in place on the system... so I ended up erasing the partition first on the second go around.

Then after installing and updating the OS (not the kernel) with sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, I downloaded the Nvidia drivers for the 1080 Ti (the .run file) and installed them. To do that I had to learn how to get out of X, shut it down, and use the console. Although the install complained of errors along the way, it did finish and seems to have worked.

After a reboot I have good Nvidia drivers, an updated OS, and still 4.8 kernel. The next thing is to install the CUDA libraries again and see how that goes.

Then if I'm feeling brave I'll update the kernel, but not to 4.11 this time... might try 4.9 and maybe 4.10. I'd love to hear if anyone else has been down this road.

Would also like to put a second Ubuntu on a different partition so I can have one sacrificial copy to play with, and one that is back on a stable version. But the partition tool won't let me have two partitions that both have / as the mount point. Off topic, but I wonder what would be the right approach to have two versions of Linux, one on each of two different partitions?

Comment

Hello (first post )

I'm running 1800X on Centos 7 4.11.2-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64

I am unable to make this cpu boost/xfr to its max frequency. Its max is always 3.6ghz even when loading only one core.

Can someone indicate me commands or specific benchmarks to troubleshoot this? My tests were run in windows under QEMU and watching how linux behaved underneath.

cheers

Comment

Does anyone have boost/xfr working on 4.11.2-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64?

Comment

Working...
                X