No announcement yet.

Best AMD processor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the late reply but the night shift did not helped me today!

Well, in this subject, i have to agree with aht0.
    Power stability is very important and since the other components will be all new, it makes sense to invest a few more dollars/eur on it for "protection".
    I will be playing games on it and don't want to be worried about burning my motherboard or graphics card. Sorry Debianxfce.
    I want a budget gaming pc but i prefer to give a few more eur on each component and know that i have a good overall hardware and lasts for plenty of years.

I was looking for this one: Cooler Master G550 Semi Modular but have to be compatible with MicroATX, currently, don't know if it is. I prefer Semi Modular because i don't like lots of cables spread inside the case.

-The motherboard will be a gigabyte-f2a88xm-d3hp, since the Asus is currently unavailable.
    -Processor will be AMD X4 880k i think, i like it but i am not decided yet. -_-
    -DDR3 memory 2133 Mhz 8GB for RAM
    -Graphics card will be MSI Radeon RX 460 4G OC, since my wife will offer me one, i will stay with this one :P
    -The case will be a MicroATX. Not decided one yet.

Thank you both for your help. Honestly!! For a guy like me who don't follow much the hardware side, its very hard to see what's the best components for a PC.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

You bought it from a sale years ago. Saying that 20 EUR product with one year warranty is junk proves that you do not know anything about markets. I expect my 20 eur power is going to serve me for a decade too. More likely I will sell my computer in 5 years and I will build a new one.

I have build several gaming computers with junk psus to my family and friends without any problems.
      No, I bought it from store, brand new, 2 years a go. Up to 700W, even "expensive" PSUs are actually affordable, costing between 50 - 100 euros depending on Wattage. It's just stupid to take risks for your whole machine because you want to save some handful of euros.

I might not know "anything" about markets but I know that much about it that price and quality run in correlation. You are literally getting what you paid for. Cheapest components and least protection circuitry/filters manufacturer can get away with when you buy the cheapest. Nobody wants to manufacture and take a loss while at it. Agreed?

Electrolytical capacitors have certain amount of lifetime. It's a function of working hours and temperature. Generally 2000h/105C. Lower temps increase the longevity while higher shorten it. Premiums have 2x-5x that of cheap ones.

Which means, characteristics of your PSU also do change over time and also as the temperature changes. Most noticeable is "real wattage" going downwards. Cheap PSUs, as a rule, also do not guarantee stability of the working characteristics, even as brand new for anything higher than 25C, which is plain idiotic. Which means, at 50C it might deviate from normal to hell knows which way and how much, especially as the components inside age. And cheap stuff does not have compensation circuitry inside either. As I said, you get what you pay for.

Once capacitor fails, your PSU is done for. Once it provides TOO MUCH current to some component, that component may get damaged as well. Or makes PC unstable. Cheap PSU's are known to have killed hardware it's connected to. It's rare for new units but it's not that rare for aged ones, you never know which way the characteristics deviate as they heat up and go under load. Quality PSU should not provide current over 5% of the norm and more than 10% under norm (as a rule of thumb). With junk, especially aged junk under heavy load (gaming) it's anyones guess.

What are mandatory protections PSU manufacturer has to include.
      • Short circuit protections - something gets shorted, PSU shuts down.
      • Over-voltage protection - shuts the power supply down if the voltage at any of the unit’s outputs rises above a trigger value.
      • Over-current protection - shuts down the rail it is monitoring if that rail is pulling more than the triggering current.

Optional protections in quality PSU's (what you deem unnessecary waste of money)
      • Under-voltage protection - shuts the power supply down if the voltage at any of the unit’s outputs falls below a trigger value.
      • Over-load Protection - you pull too much power from the PSU, it shuts down. Or with the cheap PSU without it - blow up.
      • Over-heating protection - PSU guts heat over certain value, it shuts itself down.

Lack of the second optional is why cheap PSU's simply BLOW UP, if you draw too much power out of them. And "blowup-threshold" lowers with passing time. You never really know where you are going to meet it. Lottery. Of course you never had any, now you claim. It's like having a car accident without seat belt again. Even once is too much and it's just STUPID to bait fate.

Rule of thumb, heavier the PSU, weight-wise - better it is. It means more filters, more heatspreaders, more components. And probably better components. Take one consumer junk Codegen into one hand and Delta Electronics server PSU into another. Feel the difference.
      Last edited by aht0; 25 February 2017, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        Junk psus do have big fan, so your 50 C is only in your head. Your long pblaah blaah proves that you are 100 usd psu believer. Believer lives in imagery world. Capacitor problems was years ago, when also motherboards had bad capacitors. It was some Chinese production batch.
        Lol, noob, fire up some remotely modern multithreading game which also relies heavily on GPU.. What do you suppose the temps on the CPU and GPU under heavy load are going to be? 25C?

No, it's more like 50-60+, might go even over 80C, depending on the particular CPU and the efficiency of it's air cooling.
        Example for you: FX8350. Visible on overlay: CPU:~65C. Just so you would not start fucking pointlessly arguing back.
        Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

GPU, differs, from 50C-100C, but it generally blows the air directly from inside to outside (through grills on the backside of the GPU) but it only happens from the side of the GPU main fans. From other side of the graphics card, cards PCB heat's air up in the PC's casing like oven and that heated air is "trapped" in the case.

PSU takes it's cooling air, which is already noticeably above room temps thanks to all the heat sources inside the casing, from INSIDE the PC casing and blows it outside.

Now claim again that your PC defies laws of thermodynamics and regardless of multiple heat sources inside the case, PSU ever remains working on barely above that of room temperature. Especially ignoring the lower efficiency percentage of "junk" PSU. What do you think what 70% or 85% power efficiency means? And where does the "non-efficient" portion of the used electricity goes? It becomes heat. That's why PSU itself contains heatspreaders. Lower the efficiency, more of it separates. Basic physics again.

And you still have more or less ignored the fact that you are simply fucking paying the same money anyway, regardless. I might as well get quality item which has resale value, extra safety features, maximum reliability/stability (and hell of a warranty period) and pay less for electricity because of higher efficiency of the PSU. As opposed to "saving money" buying cheap, have no extra safety features, current output is less reliable (your Inter-Tech for example lacks Active PFC) and pay pretty much same amount in the end due to added extra costs on power bill. If you game a lot, it does make noticeable difference on your power bill, I had power bill ~5 euros smaller next months after switching to SeaSonic. I lived alone back then and had no other electricity users @home. Habits did not change either.

EVGA Phoronix is using is shipped from US to US. It does not have VAT included in the price like we have in Europe. Thus it's quite a ways cheaper. EVGA is pretty decent quality brand.
        Last edited by aht0; 25 February 2017, 04:25 PM.

Comment

I would wait and get a Ryzen. On the other hand, I expect some great discount prices on older AMD tech.

Comment

He would probably have to wait until summer to get hold on Ryzen. Expect reduced availability and speculators jacking prices up :S

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
              He would probably have to wait until summer to get hold on Ryzen. Expect reduced availability and speculators jacking prices up :S
              Well, the email i got from the store is that Ryzen 5 will launch in june, but he wasn't 100% sure. With your info and his i will buy a X4 880k.
              I was thinking on the FX processor but since they are more power hungry than X4, and the x4 behaves very good, i choosed the x4.
              I am evaluating the mini itx case since i like a more small case but need to measure the space inside.

eht0 and debianxfce, thank's for all the help! It is decided what i will buy.

Comment

Working...
              X