Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best AMD processor

Hi!

I need to knows whats the best processor that AMD has for gaming. The one that has the best Performance VS Price.
    Any suggestions?

For gaming, FX8350. For now X4 may suffice but octa-core may well be more futureproof. More and more games make use of all those cores.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      X4 845 has the best performance per dollar value. You can google x4 845 vs fx 8350 or vs i5 and found that fact. Get an A88 chipset motherboard, from Gigabyte and Asus we have and they are good. 2 x 4GB 2133Mhz ddr3 is good to have, then you can disable swap.
      Thank you!

True but i am a little afraid that in a 2 years or so, it gets obsolete, as X4 is not very powerful but got a price cut since Ryzen got available for preorder.. But in another way, as ath0 pointed, octa-core has some issues on the FPS but may be better for the future and man, Ryzen is right on the next corner and what i understand from reading about it, is more eficient, powerful and what it seems to me, even more performance vs price. What a mess!!

I am going to wait untill the mid range ryzen processors to go out to see the prices and benchmarks and then decide. But this isn't easy!

Thank you debianxfce and eth0 for your help!

Comment

It really depends on the game engine in question. If you would specify the games you would plan to play, it would be easier to make recommendations as well.
        I assumed you would go dual-boot and use windows for playing, for example, since majority does and you did not specify.

Comment

Well, i intent to play Left 4 dead 2, The Talos Principle, Ark, Unreal 3, goat simulator and cs go, for now. Probably a few more but not yet. And i will install windows but only for my wife to get office stuff done. Most of its lifetime (90%) will be on Ubuntu or fedora.

Its nothing too demanding but i don't want to buy a processor that bottleneck the graphics card on a more heavy game, which by the way, i don't have decided one card yet.

Its hard to see the difference from processors because they have evolved so "fast" without i noticed it and i am afraid that choosing the wrong processor can make me regret later
          and i have been using a acer 3820tg with an intel i3 330m and ATI 5470 from the last 7 years so, its time to move on.

debianxfce , the extra 50 Eur doesn't pay the performance increase? In portugal the X4 880k BE is 94€ and i wasn't thinking to by a AM2+ board for less than 70€. The AM4 Motherboard Asus Prime B350M-A is 90€ plus 150€ for series 5 Ryzen 1300, will not compensate the extra 50 or 60 € each component?
          Or the difference in performance X4 vs Ryzen series 5 will not be very diferent?

Thanks for the help Ath0 and Debianxfce !

Comment

And do not skimp on a PSU. Seasonic Platinum (7 years of warranty) or equivalent in quality. Might look like pointless expense but PSU is the corner stone of your build. Better the PSU, better the stability of your PC in the years to come.

Comment

And have you really given a thought of exactly what are you going to get for 30 euros and why serious quality PSUs do cost a lot more?

And why, if you have problems with your PC and ask help in forums, first recommendation tends to be: check your PSU? Have you tried another?

Paying for example 75, instead of 30, is IMHO cheap price for eliminating stability concerns of your PC's before they even manifest themselves. For better part of a following decade.

Because with gaming rig and cheapo PSU, you are going to see stability problems quite soon. Most of which are leaving you scratching your head because symptoms would point to problems with something else.
              Last edited by aht0; 24 February 2017, 06:23 AM.

Comment

If you are building PC's from eighties, maybe it would be time to dig into theory somewhat? Longevity of electrolytic capacitors, purpose of the filters and circuitry inside the PSU, importance of the stability of current output on various loads and effect on your PC if it varies too much?

If you do not play (and gaming was stated purpose of the rig by thread starter) or play, but stick to old games which do not stress machine more than Excel would, you can get by with cheap PSU's because the average load is low and does not change much, never demanding much from PSU, regardless of how old junk you are using, you do not get close to threshold of failure. I've seen office computers working in excess of 10 years using Codegen 500W junk.

Comment

I've only ever used second hand components for GPU/CPU/sys board. PSU is always either brand new, or one I've bought as new but still well inside it's warranty period.

Besides. Buying and recommending cheapest PSU because you have had no issues doing it, is irresponsible and stupid. Use cases differ.

• Regardless, I was saying that "Yes, it is rare", however being rare isn't an excuse to buy cheap, because "Rare" only needs to happen once, to you, to be a problem. It's like not putting on a seatbelt. You probably won't get in a car accident. It's very rare. But if it DOES happen, even "Rare" matters. A few extra bucks on quality stuff can change "Rare" to "Nigh Impossible".

from http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-expensive-PSU

I recommend reading through the linked thread. It's quicker reading and conveys much the same information compared to posting slew of time consuming links dedicated to analyzing/pulling apart PSU's.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

If you are building pcs from second handed components, maybe it is time realize that new motherboards do stabilize power and new cpus and gpus are using less power. Also in a year you see that 20 eur/500W PSU is good and if it is not you can have a new one without extra cost from mindfactory.de

Here is another useful link for new pc builders:
                  http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/
                  I'll tell you this. There is NOTHING good in 20 euros PSU, just put it under consistent load near about 15-20% under it's defined wattage and check. Something will give and shit blows. With the extra risk of taking along some of your hardware. It is most crucial of the components, because it's task is to provide reliable current to all other components, period. If it can't do it in a reliable manner, whole computer is not reliable.
                  Last edited by aht0; 24 February 2017, 07:23 AM.

Comment

I paid 75 euros for 650W Seasonic Platinum in my gaming PC. It has warranty period of 7 years but I expect it's going to serve me for a decade. Over this time, I would probably have to buy this 20 euro junk like 4-5 times. Which comes more expensive? Not to mention the fact that 20 euro junk has much smaller efficiency and you are going to pay the difference anway, in the form of your electric bill. There is noticeable difference in 70% efficiency and 85+.

Besides, unless you go for 700W-1200W+ PSU's, even high quality PSU's do not cost much and are not really "expensive" in the meaning of the term. You shall pay little extra but it's going to serve you for a whole lot longer and better. It's stupid to skimp on most critical system component. It's in this regard more important than CPU/GPU/system board.
                    Last edited by aht0; 24 February 2017, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X