glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.4
    thats the compat profile
    if you just grep opengl
    it will also show you the core version

Leave a comment:

• sarfarazahmad
    replied
    eagerly waiting for ryzen cpus ! for Michael's benchmarks and my laptop purchase.

Leave a comment:

• smartalgorithm
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Your hardware should be able to do GL 3.3. Are you looking at the GL compatibility profile string or so?
    i do this
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.4

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
    it is interesting that my i3 2350M with Mesa 13.0.4 has openGL version 3.0 and not 3.3 as was here (mesa versions is the same)...
    the graphic side comparison shows clear benefits of having a new hardware with beautiful power savings. I will have a nice upgrade then as i see
    Your hardware should be able to do GL 3.3. Are you looking at the GL compatibility profile string or so?

Leave a comment:

• smartalgorithm
    replied
    it is interesting that my i3 2350M with Mesa 13.0.4 has openGL version 3.0 and not 3.3 as was here (mesa versions is the same)...
    the graphic side comparison shows clear benefits of having a new hardware with beautiful power savings. I will have a nice upgrade then as i see

Leave a comment:

• speculatrix
    replied
    I find this interesting and useful. I'm going to be building a TV Headend server sometime soon and since it will be an always-on box, I want it to be able to idle efficiently, but be able to transcode video at a decent speed. It seems that the newer generations of Intel CPU would really help here.

Leave a comment:

• Ray54
    replied
    I have an I3 2120 and agree with norsetto's earlier comment that more cores is the preferred upgrade path. For many people, I suspect the graphics improvement with the 7100 is almost meaningless for people who are into graphics, as they will be using a good graphics card. I will hold out to see what a low-end AMD Ryzen processor looks like, if that is not a good option, then I may look at prices for used quad-core Sandy Bridge processors. The 7100 with the price of a new motherboard and new memory does not look like a big enough jump for the overall cost.

Leave a comment:

• ResponseWriter
    replied
    Thanks, Michael! Would be good to see some comparisons with AMD's offerings at similar price points, especially with Ryzen once it's available (obviously not expecting you can do that test for another month from now ).

Leave a comment:

• GrayShade
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Unfortunately I have no direct matches there, closest would be 4770k vs. 7770K but I think I did that in a test already. but don't have any other matching high end from like Sandy to Kaby
    You're right. If anyone else is interested, the Google search on Phoronix doesn't find it but it's here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0k-linux&num=1 .

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by mlau

and Turbo has also improved a lot.
    These i3 models don't use turbo.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X