No announcement yet.

Intel Pentium G4600: A Surprising 3.6GHz Kabylake CPU For $90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No wonder Intel made K-series i3s. These Pentiums are pretty powerful in comparison. Personally, I don't understand why Intel makes these CPUs in the first place, considering the name no longer makes sense.

Intel desperately needs a fresh new architecture, not just because the current one is boring and stale, but because the naming schemes are getting so much more ambiguous than usual.

Comment

My son just ordered one for the first PC he's going to assemble. Looks like he hit a good spot for price/performance. When he wants an upgrade in a few years, hopefully Kaby Lake i5s or i7s will be easy to find.

Comment

Good, now compare it to the FX-43xx, FX-63xx, and FX-83xx that also cost like 90$ at microcenter and have a 40$ bundle discount with an AM3+ motherboard. Up until right now, if I wanted to go Intel I would need to pay as much for the CPU as for the FX-8350 that DooM specified as its minimum requirement and the bundle discount for Intel is 30$ less.

Calling it a Pentium instead of an i3 is bullshit, but Intel wants people to think decent CPUs start at 120$, and it's not like AMD's Ax makes any real sense anyway.

I think future gamers will want the most powerful Zen Ax with some shaders closer to the CPU than others, rather than just having more cores.

Comment

If dont use igp, 4560 is more interesting with only have 100mhz of difference compared with 4600

However dont appear in newegg or amazon and stay more expensive in other stores, Intel Pentium 4560 according intel must be appear in 65us compared with 90us of 4600

Comment

Why do you talk about upgrading all the time while we're talking about graphics? If you're on an older platform you'd be better off getting a dedicated GPU. It will be cheaper, considering that the whole platform would need to be changed and WAY faster.

Comment

Originally posted by eigenlambda View Post
              Good, now compare it to the FX-43xx, FX-63xx, and FX-83xx that also cost like 90$ at microcenter and have a 40$ bundle discount with an AM3+ motherboard. Up until right now, if I wanted to go Intel I would need to pay as much for the CPU as for the FX-8350 that DooM specified as its minimum requirement and the bundle discount for Intel is 30$ less.

Calling it a Pentium instead of an i3 is bullshit, but Intel wants people to think decent CPUs start at 120$, and it's not like AMD's Ax makes any real sense anyway.

I think future gamers will want the most powerful Zen Ax with some shaders closer to the CPU than others, rather than just having more cores.
              A friend of mine overclocked (BCLK) a 40$ Skylake Pentium to a near 4Ghz if i remember correctly with a 50$ non-Z non-K Asrock motherboard and all that combined with an RX470 OC at 1350Mhz. I overclocked a 65$ Unlocked Haswell Pentium with a 40$ motherboard at 5Ghz 1.5v. I don't think that AMD has anything at 40$, nor anything that can match the single thread performance of that 2.8Ghz basic Intel (AMD= 60% single thread and 80% multi thread vs Intel, per generation).
              Last edited by artivision; 31 January 2017, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Why even care for the G4600? It's not like the HD 630 is worty over HD 610. Both suck hard.
                G4560 is a much better choise by far.

Comment

Ideal to comparing it to $65 Athlon X4 845 CPU

That is Excavator core, default only 15% slower singlethread than this Pentium, multithread is the same - athlon might even lead in multi a bit... but it supports AVX/AVX2, actually sounds like cheapest CPU who support AVX2... or maybe cheapest, didn't checked around much
                  Last edited by dungeon; 31 January 2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

HD 630 is good enough for non-gaming PC. Games are waste of time anyway.
                    Last edited by JS987; 31 January 2017, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                      Excavator is about 50% slower than Kaby Lake in single threaded.
                      http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0k-linux&num=3
                      Where do you see Excavator there? Athlon X4 845 is only one CPU for Desktop PC with Excavator core And that one is 25% faster on singlethread than original Bulldozer per clock

Comment

Working...
                      X