Intel Pentium G4600: A Surprising 3.6GHz Kabylake CPU For $90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Pentium G4600: A Surprising 3.6GHz Kabylake CPU For $90

Phoronix: Intel Pentium G4600: A Surprising 3.6GHz Kabylake CPU For Less Than $90

If you are looking to upgrade to a Kabylake processor but the Core i7 7700K at $350 and other higher-end models are too expensive, the Pentium G4600 is available at under $90 USD for a dual-core processor with Hyper Threading and clocks up to 3.6GHz.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Samsung 950 PRO 256GV NVMe SSD.

Comment

It's basically the new i3... or rather the i2...

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        but the Core i7 7700K at $350 and other higher-end models are too expensive
        Not that it matters, 7700k seems to be out of stock everywhere. Intel copying AMD this time? Even the RX 480 was more available.

Also $350 is bullshit. Considering the 6700k pricing, it should be at 440-450€. If it was available. Stop false advertising, please.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Not that it matters, 7700k seems to be out of stock everywhere. Intel copying AMD this time? Even the RX 480 was more available.

Also $350 is bullshit. Considering the 6700k pricing, it should be at 440-450€. If it was available. Stop false advertising, please.
          You can get it here for around 360€:

Comment

I'd be interesting in seeing power consumption, both absolute figures and performance/watt comparisons. thanks!
            Last edited by speculatrix; 31 January 2017, 12:00 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Except for the stupid model name I'm very surprised by how good this CPU is! Now we know why Intel disabled HT on the Pentium and Celeron lines.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                Except for the stupid model name I'm very surprised by how good this CPU is! Now we know why Intel disabled HT on the Pentium and Celeron lines.
                Pentium with HT were i3. Now that HT is enabled are i3 a good product... not really.
                Seems like Intel miss a 150$ 4 cores offer because i5 are WAY too expensive and have a bad perf/$.

Anyway back to this new model : impressive perf for the money, if you need budget PC this G4600 is really great
                Last edited by Passso; 31 January 2017, 12:20 PM.

Comment

There is problem with price of DDR4 RAM:
                  Kingston DDR4 16GB KIT 2400MHz CL15
                  66 Euro - June 2016
                  138 Euro - now

Comment

Things are very simple: 1st to 3rd gen i3 were 6-issue processors, 4th and 5th were 8-issue, 6th and 7th are 10-issue like Zen. The thing is that no single thread code today can fill a 10-issue pipeline and Advanced Vectorization can only help with some rare code (usually this kind of code works better with GPUs instead of AVX). That is why you see those results, meaning that with 1 or 2 threads you will have the same performance - but with 3 threads you will get a +10% to 15% and with 4 threads a +20& to 30%, on a 2-core CPU. So with 4 threads that usually games use, the 2-core will score closer to a 4-core because games today don't work with 8 threads so the 4-core is underutilized.

Comment

Working...
                    X