Clear Linux vs. Ubuntu On An Intel Pentium CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by indepe View Post
    This argument about not optimizing because of bugs is a super-lame excuse for an open-source platform.
    I am not against optimizations, just a friendly warning... if you aware of that already that is fine

Whatever it is not any miracle these couple percents there, as distro cutted off support for earlier and any other x86 hardware
    Last edited by dungeon; 28 January 2017, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      AMD CPU support is not even enabled in Clear's kernel, basically do not try it on anything but Genuine Intel form year 2010 and up... but preferably it needs to be CPU which also have AVX2 otherwise expect not much, no or mixed difference

Some AMD CPUs supports AVX2 altough, but still that will not work work i guess as AMD support is not enabled.... anything but Genuine Intel is banned there, that is why it is named Clear i guess
      $ cat config | grep AMD
      # CONFIG_X86_AMD_PLATFORM_DEVICE is not set
      CONFIG_CPU_SUP_AMD=y
      CONFIG_X86_MCE_AMD=y

?????

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post

$ cat config | grep AMD
        # CONFIG_X86_AMD_PLATFORM_DEVICE is not set
        CONFIG_CPU_SUP_AMD=y
        CONFIG_X86_MCE_AMD=y
        Well that must be news you should advertised, as last time i checked maybe month ago it was disabled on both lts and current kernels

So when you decide to enable this? OK i got it, you enabled it about two weeks ago... now, as of 4.9.3 kernel it seems

?????
        So, what was the question?

Let me guess, enabled as you waiting for Zen to crush it there or what?
        Last edited by dungeon; 28 January 2017, 11:02 PM.

Comment

I think i would go to Switzerland and use ARM until that brother war ended

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

You can do your own clear linux by making a custom non debug kernel and set cpu timer to 300Hz. Also remove unneeded drivers and systemd services. Use the Xfce desktop. Use a non bloated distribution, like Debian testing.
            Not really. Clear Linux is not only about compiling the kernel, but also about enabling aggressive compiler settings on all software. It would be more like Gentoo which is not really worth the time, effort and money (current).

Comment

You can do your own clear linux by making a custom non debug kernel and set cpu timer to 300Hz. Also remove unneeded drivers and systemd services. Use the Xfce desktop. Use a non bloated distribution, like Debian testing.
              lol sure, you don't know anything about software optimization do you?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Of course default compile flags are also different, which might easy explain those 4% of sort. Ubuntu use generic tuning like any other binary distro which aim to large userbase and supported hardware, as it needs to run on any 64bit x86 CPU.

While Clear Linux don't run on any, not even on all Intel's CPU... just selection of it.

You can easy make fastest distro if you make it only to run on one particular hardware of your choice, optimize and rebuild near all software only for that, that is not unknown about 5% are there. Instead, if you wanna wide hardware supported you must do generic, so you lose these 5% on newer of supported.
                Exactly! That's why some OS's in the old days were much faster than others because they were optimized with pure Assembly to take advantage of the specific CPU in the hardware (Motorola 68k, for example), and so did the software from 3rd parties. Although, to be fair, Assembly makes everything faster in general, that's why KolibriOS is so darn fast on every computer.
                Last edited by Vistaus; 29 January 2017, 06:12 AM.

Comment

And why would you do that when Clear Linux already runs on AMD hardware??? See:
                  Phoronix: Clear Linux vs. Ubuntu On An Intel Pentium CPU When we are usually running our cross-distribution/OS Linux comparisons, we are generally using Intel

Comment

If you say a "Pentium test" please live up to the promise and test a real aboriginal Pentium @ 66, 90 or 100MHz with no fancy MMX or SSE.

Comment

Originally posted by zboszor View Post
                      If you say a "Pentium test" please live up to the promise and test a real aboriginal Pentium @ 66, 90 or 100MHz with no fancy MMX or SSE.
                      ABORIGINAL.

The image of an aboriginal pentium cracked me up.

That said, are these aboriginal pentiums still supported by Linux at all? I thought anything before Pentium II is either officially unsupported or effectively unsupported anyway due to low ram or whatever (so it can do hello world and little more).

Comment

Working...
                      X