Arch Linux Preparing To Deprecate i686 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    There are few generations of Atoms. The first ones have pretty weak CPUs with in-order execution, which is comparable to weaker ARMs. The later ones have OoO execution (since Bay Trail?).
    Well, from the Wiki table, after Bay Trail was Cherry Trail, which supports 64 bit as far as I can see. And Bay Trail itself is unsupported (poorly supported?) CPU by Intel, so there's no reason to use it anyway. I mean, you could consider Bay Trail dead even before Archlinux claimed i686 to be deprecated.

Comment

why is this huge hurry needed? why not stop supporting 256bit architectures next year as well? why should gnu/linux distributions feed such consumerism and planned obsolescence? this situation is really totally sickening...

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofurano View Post
        why is this huge hurry needed? why not stop supporting 256bit architectures next year as well? why should gnu/linux distributions feed such consumerism and planned obsolescence? this situation is really totally sickening...
        One of the entire points of having multiple distros is to allow each to do their own thing and focus on areas that are important to them. If you're going to have a single distro do everything and focus on everyone, then why do all the others even exist?

Also, we have very different definitions of "huge hurry." Even Microsoft, with their higher reliance on 32-bit proprietary 3rd party apps, have stopped supporting 32bit architectures on some lines of their OS.
        Last edited by smitty3268; 04 February 2017, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Fuck off with this "Hopefully we'll see other Linux distribution vendors do a similar maneuver this year!"

What do you gain out of it? Should I say all non-x86 ISAs should die and cheer if it hypothetically happens just because I never touched an ARM device?

32-bit is important especially for small VM farms because it wastes less RAM. Not just RAM, but less disk space too. It's not about "old hardware" only, it's about a CHOICE. A choice that is taken away. I couldn't care less if they test it on real ancient hardware or not! That's beside the point! I want the option to download Ubuntu (and other distros) in 32-bit ISO, even with zero technical support, to use it in my VMs.

64-bit code tends to be larger. This isn't just the pointer size, the instruction ENCODING itself is larger. 99% of all Windows programs which come in both 32-bit and 64-bit show this difference. On Linux the difference is smaller because it's artificial: they compile with worse settings for 32-bit than 64.

You guys speak of more registers, you realize those registers require a REX prefix to encode, which wastes 1 byte per instruction, right? You think 1 byte is not much? Think about this. x86 is a CISC architecture. Most commonly used instructions are between 1 and 3 bytes. Adding 1 REX prefix byte to this basically makes them anywhere from double the required space to 33% more. Yeah, more registers help because accessing the stack wastes a few bytes as well (in terms of code size) but it's not enough. 32-bit also can encode inc/dec instructions with 1 byte instead of 2/3 like 64-bit mode.

So why must I be forced to waste my RAM if I use a farm of 512MB RAM VMs??? Because some people "find it cool" to have stuff deprecated? Those people probably don't even use VM farms so WHY THE FUCK do you care if x86 lives on or not? IT'S NOT FOR YOU ANYWAY. I'm so sick of seeing people cheering for this kind of bullshit decision, when it doesn't affect them.

The other point is software preservation. People watch old movies all the time yet you think using old software or playing old games deserves to be taken away? Yes sometimes you need a VM for really old games. Where the fuck would you get the OS from if it's not available for download anymore?

I'm speaking in general, not just Linux.

Rant off.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
            Fuck off with this "Hopefully we'll see other Linux distribution vendors do a similar maneuver this year!"

What do you gain out of it? Should I say all non-x86 ISAs should die and cheer if it hypothetically happens just because I never touched an ARM device?

32-bit is important especially for small VM farms because it wastes less RAM. Not just RAM, but less disk space too. It's not about "old hardware" only, it's about a CHOICE. A choice that is taken away. I couldn't care less if they test it on real ancient hardware or not! That's beside the point! I want the option to download Ubuntu (and other distros) in 32-bit ISO, even with zero technical support, to use it in my VMs.

64-bit code tends to be larger. This isn't just the pointer size, the instruction ENCODING itself is larger. 99% of all Windows programs which come in both 32-bit and 64-bit show this difference. On Linux the difference is smaller because it's artificial: they compile with worse settings for 32-bit than 64.

You guys speak of more registers, you realize those registers require a REX prefix to encode, which wastes 1 byte per instruction, right? You think 1 byte is not much? Think about this. x86 is a CISC architecture. Most commonly used instructions are between 1 and 3 bytes. Adding 1 REX prefix byte to this basically makes them anywhere from double the required space to 33% more. Yeah, more registers help because accessing the stack wastes a few bytes as well (in terms of code size) but it's not enough. 32-bit also can encode inc/dec instructions with 1 byte instead of 2/3 like 64-bit mode.

So why must I be forced to waste my RAM if I use a farm of 512MB RAM VMs??? Because some people "find it cool" to have stuff deprecated? Those people probably don't even use VM farms so WHY THE FUCK do you care if x86 lives on or not? IT'S NOT FOR YOU ANYWAY. I'm so sick of seeing people cheering for this kind of bullshit decision, when it doesn't affect them.

The other point is software preservation. People watch old movies all the time yet you think using old software or playing old games deserves to be taken away? Yes sometimes you need a VM for really old games. Where the fuck would you get the OS from if it's not available for download anymore?

I'm speaking in general, not just Linux.

Rant off.
            old code should die. it eats up testing and bufixing resources that could be better focused. We are talking about literally doing every single job twice per release on every platform. Also, between ksm and terabyte ram servers, your argument is pratically void. WIth ksm if you deploy hundreds of 512mb vms on a server, you would notice that if you use the same SO base on the same server with ksm the non-deduplicable ram be virtually 0
            Last edited by sireangelus; 09 November 2017, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post

old code should die. it eats up testing and bufixing resources that could be better focused. We are talking about literally doing every single job twice per release on every platform. Also, between ksm and terabyte ram servers, your argument is pratically void. WIth ksm if you deploy hundreds of 512mb vms on a server, you would notice that if you use the same SO base on the same server with ksm the non-deduplicable ram be virtually 0
              yes, i see the point... if "old code should die", why are we wasting time developing whatever anyway? O.o

Comment

Working...
              X