Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux Preparing To Deprecate i686 Support

Phoronix: Arch Linux Preparing To Deprecate i686 Support

Arch Linux is moving ahead with preparing to deprecate i686 (x86 32-bit) support in their distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Damn it! Steam, hurry up! Even half of your own games do not work on 32-bit architectures. Sure there will be AUR, but still, I think it is about time.

Comment

I sincerely hope they are keeping the 32-bit compatibility libraries in place even if they are moving off supporting native 32-bit systems.
      There are plenty of cases where you need a 32-bit fallback library.

Comment

This will make my netbook sad...

Comment

Uh? I mean, I can understand the reasoning, but my laptop is still using a 32 bits only atom (granted, I should change it, but I haven't felt that much need for now).

Are Arch derivatives going the same road?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenByte View Post
            Damn it! Steam, hurry up! Even half of your own games do not work on 32-bit architectures. Sure there will be AUR, but still, I think it is about time.
            The Multilib repository is unrelated to these plans, it will still be there for apps like Steam.

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
            my laptop is still using a 32 bits only atom (granted, I should change it, but I haven't felt that much need for now).
            Well, time to change it then!

Comment

The Multilib repository is unrelated to these plans, it will still be there for apps like Steam.

my laptop is still using a 32 bits only atom (granted, I should change it, but I haven't felt that much need for now).
              Well, finally time to change it then!

Comment

[Multilib] is not effected. This is only about the "real" 32bit only plattform of x86

Comment

Are Arch derivatives going the same road?
                  TBH I hope so. The Arch-Tree of OS are the future driven part of the linux world. it would be nice to have them focused on x86_64 only without people who run the "ohh nooo we keep the old stuff!"-road again ...

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                    This will make my netbook sad...
                    Mine too. Still using it almost daily and recently did some minor upgrades to extend its useful life, which fortunately only cost less than £5 (about $6.25 since quantitative easing after the Brexit vote here in the UK). Hopefully the derivatives will keep 32-bit packages going for a little longer.

Edit: On the one hand AMD64 has been standard in CPUs for long enough to justify it but Intel still had those 32-bit Atoms being sold as recently as 5 years ago so I have mixed feelings about this move.
                    Last edited by ResponseWriter; 24 January 2017, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X