I Bent A Kabylake CPU & It Still Works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People drive bented cars also, no problem
    Last edited by dungeon; 24 January 2017, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sp82 View Post
      Still I can't believe was possible to bent a CPU
      Exactly, the incredible part isn't that it's still working: it's that he actually managed to bent it!
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        Exactly, the incredible part isn't that it's still working: it's that he actually managed to bent it!
        Enough pressure and that is it, nothing unusual Usually coolers can do that as of SKL wafers are thinnier, so be gentle ... that might even happened to Michael, but he might didn't notice it before dropping

http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-skylake...-some-coolers/
        Last edited by dungeon; 24 January 2017, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Huh, I thought this was about a bent pin, not the whole thing.

I have my own story with that, back in 2009 when I built my original AMD Dragon system (Phenom II X4 925). It came from the factory with a bent pin. I put it in, not thinking about it much, and it didn't start. Then I took a closer look and saw the bent pin (at the outer rim of the CPU). I unbent it, plugged it back in, and it worked just fine ever since. But I don't dare to unpug that CPU from its socket any more, in case the bent pin breaks while doing that. Although now the system itself has been mainly retired and just serves as a backup server.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
            Yeah, as long as none of the wires in the substrate break you will generally be fine.
            Personally I would have expected the fiberglass to break off when bent back (when installed, since installing it would force it most of the way back to its initial position). Clearly that didn't happen either, but I would expect it will happen at some point.

Comment

Hi Michael & yall,

"phew!" You were lucky bro. Still, considering how many system builds you have done "through the years," not a bad batting average. Time to upgrade hardware to "Persian Rug?" ;-)

GreekGeek :-)

Comment

The next Uri Geller - now bending CPU packages

Comment

Apply some constant WARM heat and SLOWLY bend it back. If it bent on the way down, a gentle reform should bring it back to speed. And because it's a non-critocal part of the CPU, well, you're lucky on two fronts there, even if it did break.

I'm forever bending pins back in to position from old CPUs recovered, and never lost one. I have a soldering iron at hand though if I get desperate. To stab the CPU, not repair it.
                  Hi

Comment

As long as the smoke did not leak out, you will be fine. Once that smoke leaks out you will have problems!

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post

thats the thing, it didnt "end"
                      The CPU didn't, but the "incident" did

Comment

Working...
                      X