Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Reveals More Vega GPU Architecture Details

Phoronix: AMD Reveals More Vega GPU Architecture Details

AMD isn't using CES 2017 to launch their Ryzen (Zen) processors or Vega graphics cards, but at least they have opened up more Vega architecture details for this busy week in Las Vegas...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could someone tell me what the benefit is of being able to interface with NAND flash is please?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Could someone tell me what the benefit is of being able to interface with NAND flash is please?
      It`s strictly for workstation use. There are benefits in certain scenarios, mostly large datasets where latency is a bottleneck.

Comment

"Vega when running DOOM on Windows is estimated to perform between a GTX 1070 and GTX 1080." Who's estimate is this? There was a demo of Ryzen & Vega the other day running Doom on Ultra/4k at 60fps. The article stated that the 1080 runs at around 50fps with the same settings.

I just don't think it would make sense for AMD to delay Vega to release something at that performance level. (between 1070/1080)
        Last edited by LeJimster; 05 January 2017, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
          "Vega when running DOOM on Windows is estimated to perform between a GTX 1070 and GTX 1080." Who's estimate is this? There was a demo of Ryzen & Vega the other day running Doom on Ultra at 60fps. The article stated that the 1080 runs at around 50fps with the same settings.

I just don't think it would make sense for AMD to delay Vega to release something at that performance level. (between 1070/1080)
          Here is where I saw it from someone who had first-hand play time with it: http://techreport.com/review/31224/t...architecture/4
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

It may be used to store
            A) shader codes
            B) binary programs
            c) whole Linux distribution in it or in it or just EFI to boot from network storage on vc33 slide at
            Před dnešním odhalením architektury Vega došlo k úniku oficiální prezentace. Obsahuje toho poměrně dost, takže máte-li zájem…

An Early Port Of GCC To AMD's GCN Architecture
            on 22 September 2016 at 11:40 AM EDT.
            While still in its early stages, there's a port in the works of the GNU Compiler Collection for AMD's GCN (Graphics Core Next) instruction set architecture.

Longtime SUSE toolchain expert Jan Hubicka started a port of GCC to AMD GCN a few weeks back.
            Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Porting GCC to AMD GCN microarchitecture
            Honza Hubicka
            SuSE CR s.r.o
            Prague
            Joint work with Martin Jambor
            GNU Cauldron 2016

AMD Graphics Core Next
            New and clean instruction set used by AMD GPUs
            First specification released in 2011, Generation 3 in 2015
            Primarily designed for graphic cards, but with parallel
            computation in mind
            GCN code generator is needed to complete HSA
            infrastructure (currently we rely on a proprietary finalizer)

Similar to traditional CPUs (unlike the predecessors) !!!!!!!!

Comment

Plot twist: With vega we will run Linux on the GPU and the CPU becomes a passenger, like on Raspi.
              Some workstation cards from AMD already use PCIe SSDs as cache, I assume that this is just a logical evolutionary step of that (avoid bullshit Samsung controllers and control raw NAND banks on their own, it's not like they lack the processing power to do better than a SSD controller anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Here is where I saw it from someone who had first-hand play time with it: http://techreport.com/review/31224/t...architecture/4
                Hmmm, I read this a bit differently.
                It says that about the current card, not forgetting driver or hardware changes that may happen before the official release.

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
                  "Vega when running DOOM on Windows is estimated to perform between a GTX 1070 and GTX 1080." Who's estimate is this? There was a demo of Ryzen & Vega the other day running Doom on Ultra/4k at 60fps. The article stated that the 1080 runs at around 50fps with the same settings.

Eh, we're still in the rumours stage, some infos are bound to clash. It's one of the reasons I don't put much value on anything released pre-launch. Pre-hard-launch more exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Thanks. Interesting that they had it all taped up. Thermal throttling surely. Still, he mentioned the same performance levels on Ultra that I had read elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X