No announcement yet.

Some benches on the upcoming 45nm AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its not so much as being green as the heat that is generated. its nice during the winter, but not the summer. i dont have any air conditioning here, and dont think that should be reqired to compute.

matt

Comment

Originally posted by mattmatteh View Post
      its not so much as being green as the heat that is generated. its nice during the winter, but not the summer. i dont have any air conditioning here, and dont think that should be reqired to compute.

matt
      OK I can appreciate that but keep in mind that there are probably more BTU's coming from the drives. video cards. chipset and power supply then just the cpu.

Comment

agreed. i look at all the components, not just the cpu. i find the reviews that show the power usage from the wall plug the best.

matt

Comment

Another write up from the techreport today.

AMD overclocks 45nm Phenoms to 4GHz and beyond
          by Cyril Kowaliski — 1:47 PM on November 20, 2008
          According to AMD's latest roadmaps, 45nm Phenom II processors are just a few weeks away from launch—they'll materialize at the Consumer Electronic Show in early January. Not a bad time to start gauging the overclocking potential of these chips, right?
          AMD took care of that itself at an event in Austin this morning, where it showcased four overclocked Phenom II systems. TR editor-in-chief Scott Wasson was on the scene, and while AMD didn't allow attendees to take pictures, he jotted down a few details.
          The slowest system—cooled with a heatsink and fan—managed to reach just under 4GHz with a 1.55V core voltage. With liquid cooling, AMD successfully pushed a 45nm Phenom II in another machine just over the 4GHz mark. That required kicking up the CPU voltage to 1.6V, however. For the other two systems, AMD took out the big guns. One was strapped to a phase-change cooler and reached the mid-4GHz range at 1.7V, while the fastest system managed to break the 6GHz barrier using liquid nitrogen (which kept the core temperature down to a chilly -185?C).
          Considering the latest leaked roadmaps suggest the fastest Phenom II launch CPU will run at 3GHz, those are pretty decent overclocks. We should note that AMD was using Crysis to test stability, however, and that only stresses a couple of cores at best.

Comment

Well, the real benchmarks are hitting the web now, and congratulations are in order to AMD. While still a generation behind Intel, they do now have a serious competitive product for the entry level quad core market.

Pricing trends over the next couple of months will now determine whether my next system build is on an AMD or Intel platform, whereas previously I assumed I would be choosing within the Intel product lineup exclusively.

Comment

Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
              Well, the real benchmarks are hitting the web now, and congratulations are in order to AMD. While still a generation behind Intel, they do now have a serious competitive product for the entry level quad core market.

Pricing trends over the next couple of months will now determine whether my next system build is on an AMD or Intel platform, whereas previously I assumed I would be choosing within the Intel product lineup exclusively.
              Ya they look promising. Personally I think I'll be holding off until the AM3 945's are out. Buying a processor such as the 940 that is limited to AM2+ boards doesn't leave a lot of flexibility in future MB upgrade options. Until then my 9850's will do just fine. It will also give a bit extra time for the refinement of the manufacturing process.

Comment

Honestly, I think they suck. NO AM3, no HT 3.0 and NO DDR3.

That I could forgive, but for the fact that clock-to-clock, they lag behind even the Q9x50 processors. Phenom II 940 just equals Core2Quad Q9450.

And Core i7 is waaaay ahead of it. Multimedia performance is so low compared to Yorkfield and Bloomfield. And AMD has nothing to combat Intel's HT Technology.

But I definitely think the Phenom II CPUs are a stepping stone for AMD. Reminds me of the time RV600 came out. Were no match for nVidia's higher end, but the lower end and midrange performed just fine. Then RV700 came and changed the whole situation. If things go well, AMD Bulldozer may overthrow Intel SandyBridge, but thats only IF AMD manages toreach 32nm before Intel does.

Comment

Well I would bench it if I would get a free cpu, board + gfx card from AMD

Comment

Originally posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
                    Multimedia performance is so low compared to Yorkfield and Bloomfield.
                    That discrepancy is overblown by the synthetic benchmarks. You don't see that big of a difference in the real world benchmarks.

The introduction of the Phenom IIs really made my new upgrade a hard decision. I wasn't interested at this point in i7 stuff, because the motherboards and memory are still at too high of a premium. Therefore I had to basically choose between a p45 platform with not much of a future in regards to upgradability, or a 790gx platform that would underperform now but potentially be able to accept a higher clocking, more affordable phenom II at some point down the road that may end up outperforming any quad lga775 offerings Intel releases from here on out.

After days of product comparisons I ordered my p45 componants yesterday. Probably the biggest deciding factor is that there were a lot of established, quality motherboards with the p45 chipset around the price I was looking to pay compared to what's available with 790gx/750sb in the same range.

Maybe AMD will really be back in the race a couple of years from now when I need to build my next system.

Comment

I would prefer a Q9300 or Q9550 + P45 over anything from AMD if you want to buy something new. I could not test the new AMD system, but I know what works now...

Comment

Working...
                      X