Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Reveals More Zen CPU Details, Officially Known As Ryzen, No Linux Details Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Reveals More Zen CPU Details, Officially Known As Ryzen, No Linux Details Yet

Phoronix: AMD Reveals More Zen CPU Details, Officially Known As Ryzen, No Linux Details Yet

AMD's Zen New Horizon event is going on right now. For those missing out on the livestream, here are my live details so far on Zen, or now officially known as Ryzen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally the wait is over

Beeing bored by Intel*s 3-5% IPC improvement from generation-to-generation and insane prices for everything >4 Cores, I have waited with upgrading way too long. it was really time from some serious competition.

Can't wait for Zen based APUs, hopefully with HBM2. Thumbs up!

Comment

On track for launch Q1 2017. And Lisa still looks much more like a tech woman than a sales woman. I like that.
      Oh, and now it's Vega w. 4k gaming.

Well, www.amd.com/ryzen is not yet up.

Didn't hear anything in regards to coreboot, as I expected.
      Still mouth-watering.
      Last edited by Adarion; 13 December 2016, 05:45 PM.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

But why call it Ryzen, Zen was actually a better name ...

Comment

What we saw was great, but what was hidden can be interesting too. While I don't assume it turns out to be a Bulldozer level of catastrophe, we did not see single core/thread benchmarks against the competitor at all. And that's something many of us are interested in. Ryzen will be a good option if both single threaded and combined performance are as good as we hope.

Comment

About 'Linux': There is NO HPC without _Linux_, so we'll see what is needed.
            Zen _is_ the better name! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              What we saw was great, but what was hidden can be interesting too. While I don't assume it turns out to be a Bulldozer level of catastrophe, we did not see single core/thread benchmarks against the competitor at all. And that's something many of us are interested in. Ryzen will be a good option if both single threaded and combined performance are as good as we hope.
              Agreed. My main concern is "How can I get the best possible emulation performance at 65W TDP with at least two amd64 cores and without having an exploitable Intel ME core in my system?" and that hasn't really changed since I first upgraded from a Celeron 2GHz to an Athlon64 X2 5000+ back in 2007 and then to my current Athlon II X2 270 when that motherboard died.

Comment

Maybe there will be multiple ZEN-versions. Ry-Zen and this-Zen and that-Zen. Who knows.
                For nerds it's fam 17h anyway.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

8 cores with 16 threads? Sounds like totally badass. MORE THREADS FOR THE THREADS GOD!!!

Comment

I could be wrong but I'm sure I read the bios was going to be on the CPU for the Zen chips. With the dynamic over clocking will probably be handled on CPU autonomously, although I'm sure enthusiast's will want to fine tune the over clocks themselves.

I hope the benchmarks aren't hype as this all looks promising.

Comment

Working...
                    X