Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rumor Is Back That Future Intel CPUs To Use Radeon Graphics

Phoronix: The Rumor Is Back That Future Intel CPUs To Use Radeon Graphics

The rumor is back that Intel and AMD have reached a deal for future Intel CPUs to be paired with integrated AMD Radeon graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

7th December != April 1st

More seriously, could be an awesome combo. But why would Intel do that now that their iGPU are performing well? To save space on chips or power?
    And more important: how will haters and fanboys hate this? Satan merging with God could be a shock for them...

Comment

Saves em a lot of driver trouble i guess. But i do not think this is a good thing. I dont want AMD on my cpu.

Comment

Seems like a crazy idea if true.
        AMD is about to launch Zen into the world, and not that long after a Zen based APU.
        The only real thing AMD has over Intel if rumors are true, will be their iGPU not sucking compared to the Intel iGPU.

Licensing their GPU tech to Intel to incorporate on their CPUs, would evaporate any and all pro's for picking up a Zen based APU.

But i guess we'll see :\

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
          Saves em a lot of driver trouble i guess. But i do not think this is a good thing. I dont want AMD on my cpu.
          Unless you're running a 15yr/old 32bit Pentium processor, you're already using AMD64.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
            7th December != April 1st

More seriously, could be an awesome combo. But why would Intel do that now that their iGPU are performing well? To save space on chips or power?
            And more important: how will haters and fanboys hate this? Satan merging with God could be a shock for them...
            I've read that Intel may not end up using Radeon GPUs on its processors, but needs a new licensing deal because the current deal with nVidia will expire in 2017. The licenses are necessary because it wouldn't be doable to avoid using patented technology of AMD and nVidia.

Comment

Intel has been licensing Nvidia patents for years but obviously an Intel IGP is not the same thing as an Nvidia GPU.
              I think that Intel will license from AMD as insurance from getting sued, but that doesn't mean that all Intel graphics will suddenly be using the same GCN architecture as AMD's parts.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

Unless you're running a 15yr/old 32bit Pentium processor, you're already using AMD64.
                Just because AMD slapped 64bit onto the x86 arch does not make it amd64.

Comment

That would be awesome *_*
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

Just because AMD slapped 64bit onto the x86 arch does not make it amd64.
                    yes. it does.

Intel's 64bit attempt was initially called EMT, but they eventually implemented the AMD64 extension instruction set.

Comment

Working...
                    X