AMD Zen - Linux users miss out again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Zen - Linux users miss out again?

Owning a couple PC retail stores I sell 99% Intel but use Linux in all almost exclusively. I was really hoping to get couple Zen PC's for myself and staff however I read that the OverClocking won't be handled in the BIOS but instead in Windows via their "OverDrive". All my PC's are overclocked and I like having it in the BIOS as I can run Windows / Linux with said boost. Anyone else have an opinion / news on this annoying trend? I have PC's with a 40%+ OC running for years on almost 24/7 without issue. Software almost always causes crap. I can't mention enough how many times AMD's Gfx drivers reset back to default by themselves.

Or how the Linux one's refuse to uninstall. Old FGLRX was better tested than Pro.

Maybe we will still have the option if you manage to find a legacy bios.
    UEFI so far as been shit for me so far.
    IMO this will depend of the motherboard brand.

Even then if the IPC and clock is decent overclocking is not as important as it used to be for me. especially with the marginal performance improvement I got with recent pcs (not close to 40%...).

Comment

Originally posted by g7RbdHRt View Post
      Maybe we will still have the option if you manage to find a legacy bios.
      UEFI so far as been shit for me so far.
      IMO this will depend of the motherboard brand.
      UEFI must be stupidest cockblocker-ideas ever.. Word of advice. Avoid Acer at all costs in the future if you want to buy laptop and plan using it with a Linux. Got a couple of 3-4 year old laptops from Acer which do not allow neither enforcing legacy boot nor allow UEFI boot for anything but windows. AMD-based systems. Then even if you rape'em enough and get something on them that smells unix-like they go into shutdown/reboot hang-up if you happen to have GPT formatted disk in and "lost" Acer recovery partition from it (10Gb NTFS partition with "boot" flag). I do not even want to start on non-standard mini-pcie pinouts which makes putting in some Atheros WLAN card pretty much pointless exercise.
      Last edited by aht0; 04 December 2016, 04:36 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure *someone* will develop some Linux software sooner or later. Applying Software OC usually boils down to changing some (documented) MSRs in the CPU, and there's the AMD MSR tweaker which works for my Kaveri notebook APU as well as my Phenom II, where I use it to manipulate the lower P-States.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
          I'm pretty sure *someone* will develop some Linux software sooner or later. Applying Software OC usually boils down to changing some (documented) MSRs in the CPU, and there's the AMD MSR tweaker which works for my Kaveri notebook APU as well as my Phenom II, where I use it to manipulate the lower P-States.
          Well now that Ryzen has been out for a while I can happily say OC is in BIOS where it should be. So you get the benefit in Linux, now if only we can do that with AMD Video Cards too...

Comment

Working...
          X