Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corsair DHX 4GB DDR2-800MHz

Phoronix: Corsair DHX 4GB DDR2-800MHz

It's been a while since last looking at any Corsair memory at Phoronix, but up for review this afternoon is their latest TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX memory. This DDR2 memory features Corsair's DHX technology for cooling the memory ICs with EPP latencies of 4-4-4-12 and run at 800MHz. Like many other Corsair products, the TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX is also backed by a lifetime warranty.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm wondering why the quicker ( 4 4 4 12 ) timings seem to be slower then the standard timing. Both seem to have this behavior, In nearly every test they seem to be slightly slower , and in the ramspeed test they drop from nearly 3 gb/s to 2.2 .

Comment

I would think that lower latency at a given memory clock would result in higher frame rates for the Nexuiz, but for both OCZ and Corsair, lower frame rates are the result.

Comment

Looks like the OCing (correction timing adjustment) of the modules was forcing the memory to run in unganged mode.
        Last edited by deanjo; 27 September 2008, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Looks like the OCing (correction timing adjustment) of the modules was forcing the memory to run in unganged mode.
          I wonder if there is a benchmark that shines with improved threading where you could see the lower latency unganged memory outperform the ganged higher latency settings.

Comment

These tests show we need a better memory benchmark.

1. The tests confirm that for most desktop applications, memory doesn't matter. There was very little difference between timings or speed.
            2. The Corsair memory was reported as 2T. The OCZ was command rate was not reported. Back when I used optimize memory, I found command rate to have significant effect on benchmark results.
            3. Memory is only part of the equation. The memory speed and latency must not just be maximized, but must be matched to the requirements of the memory controller, cache, and CPU. Running odd or fractional speeds and multipliers may look good on paper, but may not produce real world benefit.
            4. With the integrated memory controller, my Athlon64 is much more sensitive to CPU speed than RAM speed. I believe most benchmarks will reflect this. Don't know if multicores are as insensitive to memory speed. RAM speed only matters if there are significant cache misses (on the last cache). Cache speed it tied to CPU speed.
            5. As deanjo mentioned there are other memory considerations not touched upon in the article.
            6. No memory temperature measurements were taken. Minimal voltage information was reported. No power consumption figures were listed. Of course, power only matters for heat generation, since an extra watt shouldn't tax the power supply or VRM section. Voltage only matters if your motherboard isn't adjustable. But temperature might be significant. Certainly, the heat sinks got plenty of editorial space. Was temperature related to stability? Did the heat sinks work?

I'm sure there are (server) situations where memory speed matters, but I don't know any specifically. Maybe a web server where the cgi scripts are stored in memory for quick access?

The review whets the appetite, but doesn't quite satisfy.

Comment

Here is a article I ran across, ganged vs unganged. Very comprehensive.

YX-BC300 popular supplier professional high quality price ce full automatic cracker sandwich small biscuit making machine Engineering Calculator , Shandong Leader Machinery Sandwich Biscuit Machine Manufacturing Service 24 mm B . Get Your Free.

Comment

I have these memories for my own computer bought about 5 months back.

I've been running them in 800Mhz 4.4.4.12.22.2T 2.1volts unganged mode.

So should a after looking at these tests use the 5.5.5.18.23.2T ones instead? And try to OC them to 1066Mhz?
                I find it really odd the 4.4.4.12 are beaten by the 5.5.5.18 timings.
                I have a Phenom X4 9750 aswell

Comment

Originally posted by Nighthog View Post
                  I have these memories for my own computer bought about 5 months back.

I've been running them in 800Mhz 4.4.4.12.22.2T 2.1volts unganged mode.

So should a after looking at these tests use the 5.5.5.18.23.2T ones instead? And try to OC them to 1066Mhz?
                  I find it really odd the 4.4.4.12 are beaten by the 5.5.5.18 timings.
                  I have a Phenom X4 9750 aswell
                  What motherboard are you running? Best way to to check what timings are suited to your machine is to run the Phoronix Test Suite and compare results.

Comment

And of course Phoronix doesn't even mention the paradox of 4-4-4-12 being slower.

Bah, why am I still looking at this site, lol.

Comment

Working...
                    X