Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
    kgardas

I've just read their rationale and find it flawed. One can't defend open hardware by bulding things no one can afford to buy.
    I also disagree with regard to performance assessment. I'm wirting this on a measly Athlon 5370 ( Kabini), so with nice, prudently tweaked and optimized open system high-end hardware is not that critical.

WRT to Power9, IBM has said it will be offered to third parties and people predicting chinese boards woth Power9 for some time.

This seems as an ideal oportunity. Do open project with Power9 and then let Alibaba and its billin Thieves do the rest.

The problem with older Athlons is that the source will probably dry. Newer are locked or at least "soft-locked" to use Raptor's terminology. If ARM is also locked, then I can see only opportunity in RISC-V. Raptor down plays that option but in comparison with powerful POWER with questionable future depending on IBM (which sells more and more hardware divisions and trying to concentrate on consulting solely) and low-power/performance chip designed by academia and interested parties with BSD license, hmm, I would probably bet on RISC-V. It's not cheap either, if you like to have more performance stuff, then $3k Kintec will do for now before there are real SoCs available. If you like less performance then you can get to $100 on the other hand (Arty board). Interesting times, perhaps the best way is still in the middle, just purchase asus kgpe-d16 (before the source drys out) have it flashed to coreboot, put in there one or two opterons, plenty of RAM and you should go for few other "foggy" years to find out where the market is going...

As per of Chinese based boards. I do not trust engineering capabilities in this country unfortunately and if you think that something really good coming from there would be cheap, then you are wrong IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by kgardas View Post
      As per of Chinese based boards. I do not trust engineering capabilities in this country unfortunately and if you think that something really good coming from there would be cheap, then you are wrong IMHO.
      Not engineering, production capabilities. IBM could do reference design and then simply release all docs. Anyone interested could just start production, if they don't need extra tweaks and variations.

Comment

This sort of thing will have another answer at least long enough to deal with the Trump Crisis, in which privacy and security may be life and death matters for millions: stockpile older hardware. Hell, you can still buy Bulldozer/Pilederiver AM3+ stuff new and cheap and it does not have the "Platform Security Processor." This may be the last generation of AMD that doesn't use that shit, but its powerful enough for full HD video editing as is Phenom and Intel's Core 2 Quad.

By the time these can no longer be gotten at computer shows and all stockpiles are exhausted we will be looking at quite a different world and not just in terms of computing. In the meantime, everyone from ad networks to the FBI and police may become so addicted to picking low hanging fruit from Facebook, Twitter, and Google that they deem it a waste of time to bother with botting embedded "security" processors to spy on people outside of the Embassy/Military/known high value adversary scenarios.

Why spy on email when you can get people to Tweet and Facebook each other instead and then read it without even a warrant? Same for spying on Windows 8, Chrome OS, iOS, and Android. This might work like the cops who get so addicted to speed cameras they stop doing highway patrol. In the meantime and especially if you live in the post-Trump US, don't forget to pick all the low-hanging security fruit yourself, starting with not updating older systems used for networked communications, and getting the hell off of Facebook.

Comment

Working...
        X