Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Stoney Ridge Support Lands In Coreboot

Phoronix: AMD Stoney Ridge Support Lands In Coreboot

It has been a long time since last seeing any new AMD support in Coreboot while that changed this past week with the arrival of the mainline Stoney Ridge support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very good. Even if Coreboot relies on closed blobs, it's still good to have an alternative to UEFI.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Very good. Even if Coreboot relies on closed blobs, it's still good to have an alternative to UEFI.
      But it has no use, if no board are supported. would be nice if a reference Board would see support from AMD but i guess this can annoy the oems.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        But it has no use, if no board are supported.
        It just landed goddamnit, wait a bit before complaining.

The guy that added support to this is a mercenary (i.e. someone is paying him). I hope this is the initial step for adding support to something.

And in any case, this is quite a bit of leg work that anyone wanting to add support to a SR board does not need to do anymore, so it's still good even if there is no follow up.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          It just landed goddamnit, wait a bit before complaining.
          Then Look at the older Generation. There are no boards where you can use this "support". And with the much much older Boards you lose some capabilitys like Standby or other Features.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
            Then Look at the older Generation. There are no boards where you can use this "support". And with the much much older Boards you lose some capabilitys like Standby or other Features.
            That is because none gave a shit or the only ones interested (companies probablY) are keeping everything they do to themselves (not unexpected at all).

Is there some kickstarter about adding Coreboot support to something I might care about using?

Comment

Lets hope to see support for the upcoming AMD Zen.
              The current and old AMD offerings from the last years are uninteresting.

Comment

I wish there was more action in that field. A lot of boards are just not available to the normal public or some that have worked in the past might not do so anymore, or they are not feature complete / lack essential things (PS/2 keyboard working in Seabios but not after booting a kernel).
                Still good to have the CPU/APU support, this is the neccessary base for everything else to come.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                X