No announcement yet.

Linux 4.9 Is Showing Some Performance Improvements On A Core i7 6800K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance improvements? All i see is juggling around algorithms that perform better in different scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

All the graphing code is open-source. Not sure what the specific issue you are running into but patches welcome if anyone has any ideas how to improve it.

Thats the issue i have. I have to scroll to the right (bottom). See link: https://goo.gl/photos/Pe91ADdi4g31xQVW7

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post

If the time permits you I guess it could be interesting to do the tests on both Skylake and some older gen CPU such as Haswell of Ivy. Anyway, I sent my tip, fingers crossed that others will chip it too
        Many thanks, starting comparison tonight with Haswell and hope to get to 3.x or 3.0... Forgot exact timing with Haswell support off the top of my head. Didn't start with Skylake since can't get back too far, as what was it like Linux 4.3 when Skylake graphics were finally in good shape? Haswell had great support at launch-time so should be able to go back far. Hope to have tests done by Friday or Monday.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Many thanks, starting comparison tonight with Haswell and hope to get to 3.x or 3.0... Forgot exact timing with Haswell support off the top of my head. Didn't start with Skylake since can't get back too far, as what was it like Linux 4.3 when Skylake graphics were finally in good shape? Haswell had great support at launch-time so should be able to go back far. Hope to have tests done by Friday or Monday.
          Thanks! I think an even older chip from the sandy or ivy bridge generation would be even more interesting to see, since the driver support for those should be more mature in the older kernel releases, and you could go back even farther.

Comment

Dear Michael, FFTW 3.3.5 is out since july, it has important improvements :-).
            I'll update my subscription again soon, keep up the good work !

Comment

Working...
            X