Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi Finally Well Supported By Fedora With 25 Beta

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi Finally Well Supported By Fedora With 25 Beta

While Fedora has always supported ARM/AArch64 hardware well, they've missed out on the whole Raspberry Pi craze even as the ARMv7 hardware has been shipping for a while and there are plenty of Pi-focused Linux distributions out there. With Fedora 25, there's finally going to be good support for the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

RPi is an awesome SBC to get started with because of the support and community. But those getting started will be using the official distribution (Raspbian).

Once folks have experience building projects, the RPi - because of the single USB bandwidth shared among the USB ports and Ethernet - is a very limiting platform. Other SBC in the same price range have SATA, independent USB bandwidth, ADC, and GigE making them much more useful. Many of those also already run Fedora out-of-the-box.

So while it's great to hear that Fedora has extended support, I don't know that there are really that many that will use it.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
      So while it's great to hear that Fedora has extended support, I don't know that there are really that many that will use it.
      Actually, mini-desktop use is one of the things it can do better (apart from the pure embedded thingy doing 2 boring and repetitive things in its whole service life).

It's when you ask it to be a server that it sucks hard.

Comment

No, it's not well-supported! No audio, no WiFi/Bluetooth, many quirks and bugs. That is not good support. For the time being, it is still a bit silly to rely on upstream support for the Raspberry Pi. The upstream kernel is clearly not yet ready. It will take a bit more time.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
          RPi is an awesome SBC to get started with because of the support and community. But those getting started will be using the official distribution (Raspbian).

Once folks have experience building projects, the RPi - because of the single USB bandwidth shared among the USB ports and Ethernet - is a very limiting platform. Other SBC in the same price range have SATA, independent USB bandwidth, ADC, and GigE making them much more useful. Many of those also already run Fedora out-of-the-box.

What devices do you have in mind? I'm not aware of any that quite hit the $35 price point of the Pi.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
            No, it's not well-supported! No audio, no WiFi/Bluetooth, many quirks and bugs. That is not good support. For the time being, it is still a bit silly to rely on upstream support for the Raspberry Pi. The upstream kernel is clearly not yet ready. It will take a bit more time.
            I agree, the support is certainly not near as good as with Raspbian. But in the end of the day, it really depends on what you want to do with it. Personally, I use it as a mini server (just for me) and Mathematica that comes for free with it using VNC. I guess that kind of stuff would be fine with the partial support that comes with Fedora at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by jbennett View Post
              What devices do you have in mind? I'm not aware of any that quite hit the $35 price point of the Pi.
              I can't speak to the Linux support of the ODroid C2 - does it work with stock kernels? But it's about $50 for Gigabit ethernet and 2GB of RAM, quad core 1.5GHz CPU. So it's more than a Raspberry Pi, but not twice as much and depending upon what you want to do with it the faster ethernet and extra RAM is a huge upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

I can't speak to the Linux support of the ODroid C2 - does it work with stock kernels? But it's about $50 for Gigabit ethernet and 2GB of RAM, quad core 1.5GHz CPU. So it's more than a Raspberry Pi, but not twice as much and depending upon what you want to do with it the faster ethernet and extra RAM is a huge upgrade.
                Thank you for mentioning that device.

For set-top Kodi boxes, the ODroid C2 looks amazing. Just a little while back I was dredging having to convert a bunch of media down to H.264 since HVEC doesn't work well at all on RPi, but the C2 claims to be able to handle it no problem (H.265 4K/60FPS and H.264 4K/30FPS capable VPU).

Comment

Banana Pi? I think it has a Mali GPU, though.

I would like to see more interoperability between ARM devices. And more openness. Most of the ones I know require blobs, even just for booting.

Comment

I recently started using the Linksprite PCDuino3 Nano Lite; which is generally available for under $40. Amazon had them on sale for $15 with free shipping, so i picked up a few. Runs Fedora great. I have them in a couple of embedded home automation projects that run 24x7x365. Also makes a great home Nextcloud server, because of the SATA and GigE.

Comment

Working...
                    X